Talley Lightweights?

HeavyDuty

I've read through the archives and have found nothing but praise for the Talley Lightweight one piece ring-bases, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

700 VSSF in .223, Nikon BM 4.5-14x40 SF Mildot, trying to do a "generalist" rifle for out to 300 yards, sometimes longer if the wind is down. I was considering going whole-hog on a Badger base, but the Talleys would get me shooting quicker (budget).

Comments?

I like them, they came with my Ultra Lite Arms rifle when I bought it years ago. I just wish I could get them in 30mm.

I was looking for light weight rings and ended up buying 1 set of talley light weights for a savage 16 and then a pair of RW hart rings(same but silver and 30mm) for a savage 116. I have not installed them yet as I am waiting for lapping stuff to come any day, I will add more later.

Heavyduty, I've got a pair of the talley light weight one piece rings on my 22-250 Stealth and and have been very pleased with them. They're strong, rigid and very well made.

[image]
talley1.jpg
[/image]

[image]
talley2.jpg
[/image]
I'm going to be moving my Nikon 6.5-20 scope to another rifle and wanted to mount another scope I have with a 50mm objective... I've got to buy another pair because of the ring height. The upside is they are affordable - the down side is I'll have yet one pair of rings sitting around.

TAC

I've not seen the RW Hart one peice ring & base yet. Are they made like the Talley's?? I'll check out their web site to see if they have a pic. to look at.

Ok I received my lapping bars from sinclair yesterday so today I installed the talley one piece 1" rings and the RW hart one piece 30mm rings. Both went on well. The talley rings were the second set I received because the first set of meds were to low to fit a AO. Both sets of the talleys did not let the scope set all the way down in the rings, even with just one ring. The rings are made oval or narrow at the sides by quite a bit. They really needed to be lapped badly. I removed quite a bit of material from the sides before the scope would sit anywhere near the bottem. The rw hart rings were very round and lapping only removed light materal evenly all the way and very little was needed. This was my first time lapping. The rw hart rings are one piece just like the talleys only they also make them for 30mm scopes and in silver. But hart said they did not have any rings that fit and I checked weaver and a couple of other and foud out what rings they took and emailed hart again and they sent them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.