Talley lightweights or Rail????

motown

I have a 25-06 sendero and am planning on putting a 6.5-20 vx3 lr atop of it shortly. I would like to keep this as light as possible. This gun will mainly be a varmint rifle and max shots of 600 yards so a 20moa base wont be necessary. I guess my main concern is how will the talleys hold up compared to say an egw base and burris tactical rings? Ive used the talleys in the past and never had a problem but would like some opinions.

I would use the talley's on all my rifles, they are great. However, I hold my cheek back on the stock so the ability to move the scope farther back is a big deal to me. I like the idea of the talley's and "less parts" so to speak. I lap them up real good.

Another thing to consider is if you'll be using an ani-can't indicator. With the talley's it'll have to be a scope mounted level. If you use a rail you can utilize a rail mounted level which can be had quite a bit cheaper. If you do use a rail I'd look towards 7075 if you get AL
JUST MY .02

Thanks iclimb! I also want to send the scope back for a m1 elevation turret as well so the money i save with the talleys will almost pay for the cost of the turret as well.

I would go with the Talley light weights but as Iclimb said, lap them real good. I have a set on a Remington long action with a SS 3-9x42 and I had plenty of room to get optimal eye relief.

I've used both and Love the Talley lightweight mount system when "keeping it light" matters.

Talley lightweight ring/bases need to be lapped! I have found them to be far from aligned, whether I was using the 1-piece or 2-piece sets. Lap the bottoms. (Top of ring doesn't need lapping as it will self-align.)

Only time I've has a Talley lightweight set fail was on a LIGHT .300 Weatherby with a HEAVY scope. I broke two screws on recoil. With your Sendero, the recoil will be negligible so this won't be a concern.

A 25-06 is a perfect deer rifle for S.E.PA so don't limit this to woodchucks. It may be heavier than you would choose for a 'cary rifle" and a 6.5-20 may be a lot of scope for walking the hardwoods, but in a stand or at the edge of a field, this would be a GREAT deer rifle!

A 25-06 is a perfect deer rifle for S.E.PA so don't limit this to woodchucks. It may be heavier than you would choose for a 'cary rifle" and a 6.5-20 may be a lot of scope for walking the hardwoods, but in a stand or at the edge of a field, this would be a GREAT deer rifle!

I have a tikka t3 that is my go to carry rifle. I live in SE PA but hunt alot in central pa and some of the farms we hunt i can reach out 600-700 yards so the sendero may get a shot.

Like others have said, you should lap those Talley Lightweight mounts. They are machined from extruded aluminum. The base is machined, but the saddle and cap are left extruded and they are not round. Without lapping they can cause problems - you take your chances. Lapped, they are very solid. I would bed them to the receiver as well, especially in a lightweight magnum rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts