Taking elk meat and antlers home on Amtrak - is it possible?

Dr. Vette

In 2 weeks we're out in Montana near Broz doing some hunting with an outiftter. One of our group is taking the train in from his home in Florida so that he doesn't have to drive alone.

The problem is his return. We know that meat can be shipped to him in FL from MT but overnight shipping is horribly expensive. Has anyone here ever tried to take their antlers and/or meat along with them home on the train?

I just thought I'd ask for him and see if anyone knew first hand. I've already recommended that he call Amtrak to see if he can take extra boxes with him as "cargo" or similar.

Thanks!

You may want to check with the local processor. I was told that elk meat could be frozen and shipped to NY for $2/lb. That's not terrible. I've received elk antlers in the mail and that shouldn't be that big a deal either.

Just a thought.

In 2 weeks we're out in Montana near Broz doing some hunting with an outiftter. One of our group is taking the train in from his home in Florida so that he doesn't have to drive alone.

The problem is his return. We know that meat can be shipped to him in FL from MT but overnight shipping is horribly expensive. Has anyone here ever tried to take their antlers and/or meat along with them home on the train?

I just thought I'd ask for him and see if anyone knew first hand. I've already recommended that he call Amtrak to see if he can take extra boxes with him as "cargo" or similar.

Thanks!

You may want to check with the local processor. I was told that elk meat could be frozen and shipped to NY for $2/lb. That's not terrible. I've received elk antlers in the mail and that shouldn't be that big a deal either.

Just a thought.

Our current quotes are about $4-5 per pound, and the processors "require" overnight shipping.

Antlers in the mail - still attached to the skull?

Kinda tough to haul a U-Haul on the train. :)

We're taking a trailer for 3 of us, it's the 4th guy coming by train who has the issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.