Tail winds and long range shooting

Iron Worker

Out at my favorite place in the NV desert testing loads. Shooting my 6x284 107gr Sierra MK at 3430 fps. I had I bet a 10-15 mph tail wind. Target was 150 yds POI was 1/2 high 1/2 right. So I adjusted and moved my target out to 300 yds. Now POI was 3" low and 3"right ? I was expecting low . But POI to the right ? If it was a coyote I would of missed. Fact of life were at the mercy of the wind.

Out at my favorite place in the NV desert testing loads. Shooting my 6x284 107gr Sierra MK at 3430 fps. I had I bet a 10-15 mph tail wind. Target was 150 yds POI was 1/2 high 1/2 right. So I adjusted and moved my target out to 300 yds. Now POI was 3" low and 3"right ? I was expecting low . But POI to the right ? If it was a coyote I would of missed. Fact of life were at the mercy of the wind.

I expect the tail wind also had a little left to right. A straight on tail wind, or headwind, should have little effect on vertical unless it was up or down slope.......Rich

15 miles an hour is about 22 feet per second. You'll see it slightly at a 1000 but not at 200. I often get lift from a headwind, I don't see why a tailwind couldn't bounce off the
ground and cause lift as well at long ranges.

Yes the wind was a little left to right tail wind. So does this mean next time I go out and its calm it will shoot high and to the left ? I guess I'll just have to go out there and find out ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.