Tag Soup!!

Volume.....now I think that is where I really made my mistakes. I went with the more is better approach. They never cleaned out the bait between feedings. If fact, it looked like they spent more time playing with the logs than they did eating. The last 3 weeks of season, I fed once a week. It was almost like they quite eating all together. No pics on the cameras. Then, the last week, when I started baiting again, they were there everynight!! I was so ****ed. I had one bait station completely cleaned out so I rebaited it. A half our after I left, during the day, 2 bruisers came in and tore it up. I baited heavy so they didn't clean it out. I sat there the last 2 days of the season. I did everything like I was doing when I was baiting, them darn bears came at night the last 2 days. I even tried the fresh anise bottles arounf the baits like you mentioned Mike, but still at night they came.

I've noticed with bears the first 2 weeks is your best chance at getting one around where we hunt up in zone 44. The reason is you have the woods to your self the grouse hunters aren't running around every where. Also usually after the second week is when the acorns really start dropping and they seem to love those things for about 2-3 weeks.

The night bears are kind of frustrating but they are part of the game.

You won't like my reply but here goes. Why not quit worrying about the baits & just go hunting. I don't understand how someone can set a bait can out & call it hunting. I hike my butt off & kill bears. If there are a few bears in your area, just go hunting.
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.