Tactical vs Normal Scope for hunting rifle? which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by matt_3479, Jun 12, 2011.

1. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

On your hunting rifles do you prefer a normal hunting scope or a tactical scope and why? If you know long shots can occur would you prefer to have a tactical scope or still your normal hunting scope for in the field?

2. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

These days I feel pretty handicapped with a "regular" hunting scope on any rifle. Even a small hunting rifle, as long as it's accurate, can be such a more effective tool with a scope that has good knobs and reliable tracking or usable reticle vs. a duplex "point and shoot" scope without usable knobs. The best quality and most reliable scopes with those features tend to be "tactical" scopes, thought there are some hybrid-types available they tend to be limited in one way or another.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

"Tactical" is just a buzz word that gets thrown around to sell STUFF they are just scopes with adjustable turrets and I think 95% of the guys here are using scopes with adjustable turrets. If not that then the Horus system (what I use) or one of the BDC systems. I have never and will never use anything else on any of my rifles its to limiting any other way.

Sorry Len I forgot

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I prefer a tactical style scope on any rifle that may be used to shoot over about 400yds. I have several rifles that are only used for shorter range hunting, such as 250yd max. For these I use a standard variable scope. But my 2 long range rifles have Leupold Mark 4's.

5. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

+1 all the way.

6. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

In the Leupold line I've found the "tactical" or Mark 4 line adjustments to be more reliable and durable, than the "normal" VX-3's. No experience with other brands to be of help.

7. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I prefer the plain vanilla regular tactical hunting scopes for all of my rifles.

8. matt_3479

rscott5028:

You mixed the two. What scopes do you use on your hunting rifles? Tatical (exposed turrets) or regular hunting scopes?

9. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Exactly!!! lightbulb

Like ICANHITHIMMAN said, tacticool is just marketing hype.

Most of my scopes have exposed turrets and hunting reticles.

My main scope is a Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX3L Varmint Extreme. It's a regular hunting scope with a lot of tactical features.

And, I wouldn't hesitate to use a NF benchrest scope for LRH.

Happy hunting.
    -- richard

10. matt_3479

Thank you for clearing that up. I understand what you all mean by it's just a marketing hype. Just curious I guess on people's preferences