Tactical stock

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Iron Worker, Dec 12, 2013.

1. MacMillan

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. H&S Precision

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Manners

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

I have a semi custom Win Mod 70 CRF in 7mm WSM 26" Brux bbl #4 contour. I want a vertical grip tactical stock. Narrowed it down to 3: Macmillan ,Manners or H&S Precision . What say yee ?

2. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I voted for McMillan even though I own more Manners stocks :D

The A-5 is still my all time favorite.

t

3. Iron Worker

Only 12 week wait for manner , why do you prefer Macmillan

4. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Comfort mainly. The Manners is just as strong but not as comfortable to me. They feel like a 2x4 bolted to my rifle, functional but not as comfortable. When I received my Manners T-5, there were several areas of the stock that were not true to one another.... just didn't seem to be of the same quality.

Like I said, I have more Manners than McMillans however, I still prefer McMillan.

t

5. Iron Worker

That was very helpful !

6. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

If youdon't have anything against laminates, the Bobby Hart long range tactical ( without the aluminum bedding block ) is a really nice stock. I own 3 of them and recommend them to the people I build rifles for. They come in different colors and the fit and finish is a 99 out of 100 and a good value for the money. Stockys sells them.
    Tarey

7. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

I have McMillan A-5 and I do feel comfortable and fit right with my hands. CONS, it is a bit heavy even though I shoot prone most of the time.

Manners is also the best choice. Nice design but I never try to hold it.

8. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I've had 2 McMillans. One from nearly 30 years ago and another this year. Good stocks, but if you're in a hurry I'd look at the others. Regardless of what they say, it will take 6 months.

9. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I voted H-S. That is the only stock I've shot of your three choices. I find it quite comfortable and is built with plenty of barrel float. Built with an aluminum bedding block. No bedding needed

Tank

10. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

McMillan A5 all the way. Fit and finish is perfect. Manners could not inlet a stock correctly if their lives depended on it. I have ordered 5 Manners stocks for customers and not one was inletted corectly. McMillan from here on out.

Regards,
    Paul

11. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into your thinking.

There is a tacticool factor associated with the tactical stocks that draws a lot of people to them. They are great for what they are designed to be too.

However, unless you are planning solely to shoot them from a bench or prone you will find them a PITA in the field.

The McMillan A-3 hunter is a great compromise vs going "full tactical" as is the precision stock works (made for them by McMillan and I'd encourage you to look at both unless like I said you are strictly planning to shoot from the prone or bench.

I have five HS precisions I like very well too. The Manners I have tried I had a similar feeling of as the above poster, felt like I was snuggling up to a piece of railroad iron or a 4x4.

12. Iron Worker

Thanks Wild Rose . That's what I'll be getting .

13. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

I have a A3-5 Adj stock it's somewhat of a compromise from the full tactical. It has a slimmer fore end.

[​IMG]

14. kingzero

kingzero Well-Known Member

Gotta love McMillans. The Gamescout is also a good choice for more of a hunting rifle. It has the vertical grip but slimmer forend. I was going to go with one but decided on a heavier barrel and had to step up to an A3 with a wider front.