tactical stock mod

gear head

Does anybody have info on milling the inside of the stock on a choate tactical stock so it can accept a center feed long action from a staggered feed model. action is a round savage long action with 5.062 screw spacing. Thanks send info to gear head

hey there.....

shouldnt have to do any milling on it.... they didn't change the bolt spacing on the long actions when they went from staggered feed to centerfeed magazines...

or are you talking about inletting the bottom of the stock to change it from a blind mag to dbm with the newer style centerfeed system and having problems with that verticle ramp/tab that the rear part of the magazine engages on the botom metal up right underneath the action?

i have the choate stock you are talking about but i put a stagger feed blind mag action in it.... the old stock it was in, i put a centerfeed dbm long action and the action fit in on the top without any problems... the inletting on the bottom was easy but it was not a choate stock with those big block of aluminium in it.....

if you could elaborate a bit more on the what you are trying to do i might be able to help.... i have a short action choate that has the same big aluminium blocks that i inletted but it was for a complete "Farmer fix franken-mag" system i built but it works so i might be able to give some insight....

orch

The back action bolt mount will have to be cut down so the back of the action will fit the stock flush by the safety. The mag hits the bottom of the action at the back of the mag box. do i have to grind the box down or do i grind the mag well in the stock?

hey there....

i wouldnt worry about the rear safety tang not sitting flush with the stock... mine doesnt either... its purely cosmetic... and i am pretty sure milling down the action pillars is gonna be far more work then adding something like bedding compound or filler around the safety tang on the stock and then shaping or sanding it to fit up around the safety tang to make it look good... keep in mind that you would have to mill down both the front and rear action pillars at a taper with minimal material removed at the front of the front action pillar gradually removing more to the rear at the right angle to keep the mating surface to the action true just to get the safety tang to sit flush with the stock... so ya if it bugs you that it isnt flush at the rear tang just add some marine tex, acraglass or other sort of bedding compound to the stock around the tang and after it sets grind/shape it so you have a smooth flush fit.... keep in mind that you should have that rear tang free floating from the stock (not contacting the stock) so if you do bed around it you should then remove any of it that is contacting the tang (enough to slide a dollar bill between the tang and the stock. i just left mine alone because i'm lazy and dont care if it looks a little off....

as far as the magazine box goes... i'm still a little confused... you said:
"so it can accept a center feed long action from a staggered feed model"

do you mean this is a straight up factory center feed designed receiver and centerfeed blind box mag? or are you taking a factory stagger feed receiver (old action design from before they came out with the centerfeed design) and you are using a new center feed box mag? or were you referring to the stock when you said: "from a staggered feed model" ..... this is a top load blind mag model right or are you talking about a detatchable magazine?

well anyways i guess it doesn't really matter either way if the mag is causing problems i'd grind away at the mag well not the magazine... the dremmel is your friend!
if i am envisioning your description correctly the magazine doesn't have enough room in the mag well to sit forward enough to properly mate with the receiver so yah just get a good coarse bid and grind enough aluminium out so things fit....

if its more that the mag well isn't deep enough, even better, the bottom of the mag well is all plastic and its pretty thick so grind away at that just enough to get a snug fit and your golden...

once you got things in line and the mag functions right i'd lay a little bedding around the base of it (with release agent on the mag so it wont be permenently fixed in place) so the box will be held exactly in place when the action is torqued in place..

sorry for the long post

orch

The tactical stock is a fred choate model stagger feed. I have a stevens 200 round long action center feed model. I have a slight rubbing problem with the back part of the mag hitting the bottom of the bolt. i still need to modify the mag box hold down clip to fit the new stock. Does the mag have to be perfectly centered to the action to feed correctly or can it be forward or backward from the action and still work correct. thanks for any info.

okay i got it now... it is actually rubbing/catching on the bolt at the back of the feeding area when you cycle the bolt...
dremel some relief outta the plastic at the bottom of the mag well ( there is a pretty good amount of plastic there so you should be able to take enough out without going out the bottom) it wont have to be exactly centered to feed properly but the closer the better...

orch

Actually it is the shell follower spring pushing the mag up to the bolt, I just glued mine into the action so the mag cant be pushed up by the spring. Also the space under the rear tang of the action is intentional so it is free floated, although I agree the gap is a little excessive. I have two savage long action choates and with a little tinkering they are awesome stocks although a touch on the heavy side. I hope I helped.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts