Tactical 338 Allen Mag project

wildcat

Well, it looks like Kirby has done it again. I am hooked, and want one of his 338 Allen Mags. After e-mailing Kirby for a couple of day's, I've been going back and forth between the 338 Allen Mag and 7mm Allen Mag. I have decided to go with the 338 Allen Mag. Here is what I have decided on, if Kirby agrees;

1. 338 Allen Mag
2. BAT 8.5 Model M, 1.55 Diameter, 408 Cheytac bolt face
3. Krieger 32", 1-10 twist, 1.500 tapered too 1.350.
4. McMillan A-5, Thumbwheel Cheek piece, 3 way spacer system, 6 pounds of weight added, Desert Camo Pattern, stock will weigh 10 pounds.
5. Muzzle Brake by Kirby
6. Jewell 2oz trigger
7. Badger rings
8. BAT Base with 40 MOA
9. Teflon coat Matt Black
10. Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS
11. Total weight of rifle will be around 30 pounds

I would like to also say some things about Kirby, though I haven't talked to him on the phone yet, HIS CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN FIRST RATE. I HAVE WORKED WITH MANY GUNSMITHS, AND I MUST SAY KIRBY IS AWESOME!!!!! HE HAS E-MAILED ME BACK PROMTLY AND HAS ANSWERED ALL OF MY QUESTIONS WITH GREAT DETAIL. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO OWNING ONE OF HIS RIFLES. Kirby, if your reading this post, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS, AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING THIS PROJECT STARTED. Man, I think my nose may be a little brown. Seriously, if anyone out there is thinking about having a rifle built, go with Kirby. He will answer all of your questions.

Jake, A.K.A Wildcat

Wildcat,

I had been doing the same thing....emailing Kirby with questions and he always responded. I also emailed one of his clients and talked with them about the rifles and the work...Now I have Kirby building me a Nesika action 7mm AM. I have already started planning on the next Kirby build and we haven't got the first one done.

I am literally days away from holding my "first" APS crafted firearm. When I first decided that I wanted to build a LR XP-100 I sent Kirby an e-mail and went about a week w/ no repsonse...my first thought was "Here we go...another goober smith that talks up his guns but won't reply back to e-mails." Then a few days later I got an e-mail from him telling me that he was in Canada chasing furry critters w/ Richard Graves, apologized for the late response, then he answered all my questions in detail and has responded promptly ever since. WOW!!

Kirby has been a class act in every phase of the build...from when I first contacted him about prices and various questions through the completion and test firing of my new toy! All I'm waiting on now is the mail delivery!!

Thanks for the kind words from all of you. I realize that I can be very difficult to reach by phone most of the time but I really make it a point to respond to e-mails twice a day, early in the morning before heading to the shop and right before I go to bed at night.

Being a one man circus around here answering the phone all day can be nearly impossible if I want to get any work done but I feel it is critical to get back to my customers within 24 hours if at all possible.

I appreicate all the work the guys on LRH has thrown my way and so far I think everyone has been happy???

Dan,

Just range tested your little monster again this morning. She will ship out today or in the morning. Good range test. I will e-mail you and give you the skinny!!

Again, I appreicate all the sork you have all given me, I know e-mail conversations can be very impersonable but I try to offer as much information as possible to counteract that aspect of it.

If someone really needs to talk to me on the phone though I will make time to give them a call, just may take a day ot two to get that time available, especially this time of year!!!

Thanks again, I assure you all the rifles mentioned above WILL be shooters!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
......little monster.......

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think you may have just named her for me!! What else would you call a XP-100 7mm WSM?!

Darn Kirby,
Just about had a heart attack!
Thought my new 338 AM was done, wrong Dan though. I'm just getting the 270 AM broke in for hunting season, don't need another cannon just yet. Early 2007 will be soon enough. Thanks!

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread,

But I would like to put in my 2 cents as well, regarding Kirby's professionalism. Actually it goes beyond professionalism, Gunsmithing is not just a job to Kirby but more like something he keeps in his heart.
Some people just cannot allow themselves to perform adequate work, they have to do their best every time because they have a sense of pride. And I think that's the case with Kirby.

He rebarreled my .270Wby and did an excellent job. Definitely my favorite rifle. I had the same experience as everybody else here, I bugged the hell out of him with questions and he always responded in great detail. Thanks Kirby.
Now for my next stupid question. I want a light weight Mountain rifle for Elk hunting. Caliber will be the .300WSM. Do I get the Stiller Predator Action or the Surgeon action?

I'm leaning toward the Predator due to it's cost.

Thanks,
Vic

Victor,

From what I am hearing you will be happy going with either receiver for this project.

I have a Manner lightweight hunting stock headed my way to check out and test. I will report on the stock here on LRH. From what I hear these are amazing stocks and I hear that from a guy that I totally trust his opinion on such matters so I am very excited.

The Manners stocks are almost totally carbon fiber with a bit of fiberglass thrown in as well. I hear they are much stronger then any other composite stock on the market right now, we will see and I will report back.

I will be putting that stock on a lightweight 257 Allen Magnum and the finish rifle weight should be around 7 lbs with a full 27" barrel.

Should be interesting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.