Tac15i accuracy and consistancy problems

Hi Luv2turn,
Who ever told you that a 42 yard shot was a piece of cake?

Maybe with these particular crossbows it's a very high percentage shot once you're set up properly, but for many other crossbows it's not an easy shot at all.

If you were shooting a compound bow, a 42 yard shot would be considered a long shot at a deer, so all I can say is "Nicely Done". Many of you "Newbies" are doing a good job of making the rest of us feel like all the information we put out on these forums is actually helping and doing some good.

OkieBowie, Super 91 and several other senior members that have been with this forum for the past year all have a great deal of knowledge and information to offer you guys, so watch for their posts and listen carefully to what they are writing if you want to continue learning. In my humble opinion, you can't buy that kind of experience anywhere, so the fact that it's offered for free here is as good as it gets.

Regards,

Jon

Has the TAC-15 crossbow itself been checked out (or replaced) by PSE?
Perhaps, there is something wrong with the crossbow (limb pockets) that has caused you to be in the unlucky 1% twice for limbs.

Yes. The first time I had a limb come apart, I sent the entire crossbow section to PSE and they sent me an entirely different one in return.

this bow is junk.my first one did everything that has been happened to
everyone on this site.they sent me a new one and with in 50 shots the string and serving failed.they sent me new ones. with in 50 shots the limbs split,they
sent me new ones. the bow is now grouping just like everyone else,not worth
a ****.i will be at the ata show in columbus and cant wait to see PETE.
DONT BUY THIS BOW

Hi Ronmc,
It sounds like you have had a bad time of it and no doubt you have an issue that needs to be addressed and rectified directly by the manufacture, but none of it is the fault of this forum or it's publisher or members, so please go easy since you are one of the very few that have had this many problems.

Most owners experience between 0 and 2 problems in the first 200 shots, which we refer to as the break-in period and it's similar to buying a new car. Once these have been resolved, most owners will not part with their crossbows again, due to the outstanding performance.

All I can recommend is that you sit down and write a well worded letter to Pete Shepply and his heads of Marketing and Customer Support. If you explain your experience and notify them you would challenge them to change your opinion of their products, maybe they'll attempt to do something to make reparations for the pain and frustration that you've experienced.

If you don't try you'll never know!

As far as your comment about the bow not grouping well, I'd challenge that comment by stating for the record that my PSE TAC15i and that of numerous other TAC owners will consistently maintain 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I can't even shoot multiple arrows at any target less than 60 yards because I will robin-hood or bust up my own arrows at distances 60 yards or under. At 70 or 80 yards my arrows are almost touching one another.

Show me another crossbow anywhere that can do this consistently?

Know the difference between a crossbow malfunction and the problems caused from not understanding the dynamic properties of arrow balancing are two different things. Most people don't know one from the other, so it takes time for some of us to work with our other crossbow brothers to teach these things.

If you bothered to speak to those members that have worked over the past year with people like OkieBowie, Super 91, Russel and a few others, they'd gladly tell you just how much they've learned and just how well there TAC 15/15i shoot these days.

The young man who is in this thread just above your entry (Luv2turn) recently followed some of my tuning advice for his crossbow and as of yesterday was pretty happy with the way his is now shooting. I'm not going to advertise for everybody else because I think they all have voices of their own, but I will simply say that this is the most accurate crossbow that money can buy today.
Knowing how to make it work at that level takes a great deal of knowledge, but then the same can be said for a SWAT or Sniper who can hit a pie plate at a mile. If it was so easy, everybody would be doing it!!!!

Regards,

Jon

hey jon
i never said these problems were the fault of the forum,publisher or members.
i thought we were all discussing issues (good or bad) of the tac15. i completely understand the difference between bow malfuntions and the
dynamic properties of arrow balancing. your 1% of owners having problems
are very miss leading,when 10 people on this forum are having severe problems and 4 are trying to help. you 4 are very knowledgable on the subject .until pse can work out the issues mentioned by the 10, i can not recommend buying this bow.instead of writing a letter,like i stated,i will take my bow to the ata show and let pete see what it is doing.please keep up all the great advice,it is a big help to the ones unfamiliar with these bows

ron

Yes. The first time I had a limb come apart, I sent the entire crossbow section to PSE and they sent me an entirely different one in return.
Okay, scratch that as a possible cause.

On a positive note, PSE did send you a "entirely different" TAC-15. Something you don't see very often.

As for your Limb problem, it is possible (not likley) that you got a bad replacement set.

One off the wall idea: Do you know somebody with a working (non-problematic) TAC-15 that you could compare against. Looking for the slightest difference. Compare cable and string routing, Cam positions at release (rest) and cocked, where the string starts to wrap on the Cams, where the string lays at rest in relation to the rubber-bumper string stops.

Keep us posted on the Limb problem and we will keep scratching our heads.

... are very miss leading,when 10 people on this forum are having severe problems and 4 are trying to help. you 4 are very knowledgable on the subject .until pse can

If I may offer a possible explanation for the 10 people vs the 1%.

The 1% implies there are 99% who are not having trouble. Those 99% are out shooting their TAC-15s, and very unlikely to be posting on this forum; unless they are "Grear heads" (those who like to tweak for the maximum).

Now that leaves us with the 1% who are having trouble and very likely to be posting on this forum for help. That would be 1 in 100 TAC-15s bad, or 10 bad TAC-15s out of a 1,000 TAC-15s. I am betting there has been far more than 1,000 TAC-15s sold.

Given the above, it seems reasonable that we would get 10 people here having trouble, while not seeing postings from the 990 who are not having any trouble. In essence the very nature of this forum causes negative Bias.

I know the above won't resolve your problem, but perhaps it will help with the frustration.

Hi Ronmc,
Okie has some excellent points that he's making. I can't estimate how likely these points are, but we do know that for certain at this time of the year our member participation drops off to almost nothing, due to the hunting season in most states. It's part of the normal cycle and the activity doesn't really pick up again until sometime in mid December.

My other thought was that although you could wait until the ATA Show to present your problems to Pete, why wait? The ATA isn't until some time in February, if memory serves me correctly. Do you really want to wait that long to have them make ggod on the problems.

Would it not make more sense to exercise the "Lemon Law". Most states have what is known as the Lemon Law in effect. This means that once a manufacturer makes three attempts to resolve functional problems with a product, it then falls under the Lemon Law which essentially obligates the manufacturer to a full replacement of the product or a full refund to the purchaser.

Usually customers don't know the extent of the Lemon Laws and usually don't have the right contact numbers for the group within the company they are dealing with to contact the right people, but distributors always have this information because they contact manufactures on a regular basis to obtain RMA numbers for defective parts and product replacements.

I'm not sure what state you live in and what the laws are within your state, but you might want to contact the dealer that sold you your crossbow and pursue a replacement or refund on this basis. Sometimes starting from scratch is the best approach, since the current route doesn't seem to be working for you.

Just fruit for thought!

Regards,

Jon

im in ohio,and the and the ata is also in january. i am going to call pse today
and see what they say. ill keep you posted.thanks for the help
ron

Ok, I read through all the posts on the TAX 15. I bought one from a local dealer (68 miles away) I have also been buying items and arrows from Len. I am very pleased so far but have a couple questions/comments

1. When cranking to cock, at about 3/4 of the way, I hear and see a slight cracking noise. This has not effected accuracy
The dealer, says this is normal.

2. When at full draw, I was told to hold slight tension on the handle and make sure the lift lever could be moved up and down slightly. In other words, I shouldn't just crank back and let the pin drop into position.

3. I have 250-350 shots through it and yes, I will need to replace the bumpers after the hunting season. I consider this minor maintenance. Also instructed to apply rail lube, which I do.

4. Everything is tight on this thing and I feel confident out to 60 yards, which for an old fart like me is ok. Most shots where I hunt will be 30-50 yards.

5. I have tried the Phatheads and have had issues. After more reading and other sources I have switched to the new Grim Reaper and love the results, so will be using then for this season, my first with a crossbow.

6. Looking to get the fletching jig and the drop away rest if someone can point me in the right direction on the rest, and most likely the trigger up-grade.

I know it's a long post, and most things are items you more experienced guys have known for a long time, but I haven't shot a bow of any kind for over 30 years, and actually wasn't into bow hunting. But I can use this in Michigan now and next year in Wisconsin when I hit 65.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Hi Schneep,
Let's address each of your numbers that require an explanation.

Item #1 - The sound is normal, but will not necessarily happen every time you load the crossbow. Sometimes it can be eliminated by using a good Silicon lubricant in the joints where there are any moving parts. Also, products like Break Free work well to insure there's between little and no friction anywhere.

Item #2 - When cranking back your TAC15 it should seat fully into the slot that the cocking sled is designed to seat in. There is no reason to over cock your crossbow by cranking it beyond this point, but proper seating in the slot ties into the safety features, so allow it to seat fully.

Item #3 - When ordering new bumpers there's a thread on this website that talks about the different bumpers you can order from PSE. I would suggest you specify that you want the factory hard rubber bumpers and not the soft Vibracheck Bumpers. They last much longer than the soft ones.

Item #4 - In order to achieve really good accuracy out at 8- to 100 yards you wil likely require some arrow spine testing, so your nocks can all be aligned with the stiff side of your arrows spines. This coupled with a good arrow rest should allow you to achieve much better results.

Item #5 - You will likely not be able to get the type of accuracy you want with the Phat Heads unless you really know how to tune your crossbow for them and also tune the broadheads correctly to the arrow shafts for straight, non planning performance. Mechanical heads have drawbacks as well, but are probably easier to get to fly right for less experienced shooters.

Item #6 - We have forwarded a complete Step-by-Step article that includes pictures to Len and Andy to post in this forum. It's everything you ever needed to know about the Drop Away Rest and how to order one. They should be posting the article any day now, so just keep an eye out. It was written by rmbeach.

Regards,

Jon

Thank you Jon,

I look forward to really getting to know this crossbow, and becoming more in tune with it. It's a pleasure to come to this forum to learn from others like you.

Thanks, most of the forum members do try to contribute useful information and help each other.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.