TAC 15 Crossbow Downrange Velocity - Chronographed?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I got 406 fps with an 85 grain fieldtip at the "muzzle". I was unable to get a reading at 100 yards when I tried. Does anyone else have a reading?

CED M2
5 shots but the only one that registered said: "6000".

For what it is worth: I could not get a CED M2 to read PSE's arrows shot from a TAC-15. I got either nothing or obviously wrong readings in 4000 - 6000 fps range.
A real disappointment.

Time to try a different Chronograph.

Gents,

On page 6 of the Manual for the M2 chronograph it says:

If you plan to shoot a shotgun or archery arrows, read the appropriate section for
further details.

And on Page 12 it says:

Shotgun / Bows
The CED M2 Chronograph can be used for shotshells. The system measures the velocity of the front pellets
in the shot string. A closer screen spacing of the tripod of (3 to 4 ft.) three to four feet from the muzzle of
the shotgun should be used. This means that the FIRST Skyscreen sensor should not be further than 4 feet
from the end of the shotgun. In the case of bows, make sure that the Skyscreen sensors are far enough away t o
allow the arrow to fully leave the strings of the bow before the tip of the arrow reaches the first sensor. Blunt
arrow tips (rounded or flatter nose) work best! Remember, the sensors need to see a change of light in order t o
read the arrow.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
There is a new product just released called the Velocitip. It is a 100 grain electronic field point that measures velocity, kinetic energy and momentum both at launch and down range at impact. It also give you time of flight, drag coefficient data as well as group averages and std deviation. You can check it out at Full Flight Technology :: Velocitip Ballistic System, Archery Equipment Evaluation and Performance Testing, Arrow Acceleration Sensing.

Holy cow! This looks like the perfect toy for us obsessed shooters who are anal about accuracy and consistency! I must have me one of these!:D

Billy, your right, all of us who enjoy tweaking their equipment to get the best performance will want one. They will be doing live demo's this week at the ATA trade show in Indianapolis.

What kind of arrow flight are we talking about out to 100 yards? Is it a large rainbowing shot or what?

In roughly approximate terms:

100 inches of drop from 20 yards out to 100 yards. Group sizes of 2 to 3 inches.

Complete pass-through of arrows on deer in the heart-lung area at 100 yards.

I was able to see the Velocitp while at the ATA show. It was pretty cool, but did have a few "downfalls" at least to me.

It is an analog system, so the circuit board is not upgradeable. You get what you get. You cannot program it beyond what the factory puts in.

It is not cheap. I can see a manufacturer getting one to do some serious testing, but the average guy is probably not going to be able to afford one.

It only comes with one tip. That's a lot of trips down range unless you buy another tip, which is very expensive.

There were a few other limitations that I took note of at the show but cannot remember right now.

On the up side, it was well-built and I feel that if you ever had any trouble, the company would take care of you.

It does deliver data you can't get any other way.

And is much safer than trying to shoot over your chrono at long distances.

There is a new product just released called the Velocitip. It is a 100 grain electronic field point that measures velocity, kinetic energy and momentum both at launch and down range at impact. It also give you time of flight, drag coefficient data as well as group averages and std deviation. You can check it out at Full Flight Technology :: Velocitip Ballistic System, Archery Equipment Evaluation and Performance Testing, Arrow Acceleration Sensing.

Excellent information! It's too bad a fellow on a budget won't be able to afford one of these for a few years. This is exactly what archers have been looking for for years. No more guessing or reliance upon someone else's datum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts