T/c Prohunter Wildcat

starchild69

Has Anyone Played Around With The T/c Prohunter, 28" Stainless In .300wby?
Have Been Wanting One Of These For Ages, Very Hard To Come By Here In Oz, Was Also Thinking Of One In .270wby.
As They Dont Come In The Weatherby Cals, Can Anyone See A Problem With Rechambering A .270 Or .300 Win Mag?
Your Thoughts Would Be Greatly Appreciated, Thanks

Line It Up, And Smack It Down

You should have no trouble if the smith does the job right. The worst part of the deal is the brass. Wby. brass is very high priced and does not last long. Your increase in velosity will be 100 fps. or less and in my oppenion not worth the extra trouble and expence.

Thanks For The Reply, The Reason Behind The Weatherby Is I Already Have Dies And Heaps Of Brass.
I Was Mainly Interested In Can The Win Chamberings Be Recut To Weatherby.
Also, Have All You T/c Owners Out There Had Good Accuracy, Or Am I Gonna Have To Invest Heaps To Get One To Shoot Right?
Any Opinions Are Welcome, Thanks

encore rechamber

Get a hold of JD Jones at SSK industries. The site is Mr He does nice work, and probably does more rechambers than anyone.
wk

I would watch out for some of the super magnums in the TC. If i remember correctly TC themselves wont do any WSM's or Ultra Mag rounds because they consider their barrel shank to small. I have heard of few blown up bbl's from people who chambered them in to large of rounds in the TC! I dont know how true all of it is but i would definantly get some expert opinions on the stuff before you proceed. Just cause somone will chamber a TC bbl for ya in one of the really big rounds dont mean its safe.

steve

Look at Match grade machine , they make great barrels for the encore and do custom smithing on T/C ,s. Check out they're website I think it's " matchgrademachine.com" . They do really good work. Call them they would be glad to chat with you on the phone and work out you problems.

Go the 300

Hi go with the 300 as the 270 will require extractor modification and basicaly the 300wby was designed to be able to rechamber existing 300Win Mags.

As long as you don't chamber over the base diameter of the standard belted mags you are ok. the 300wby has the same back thrust and just load it to the same pressure as the 300Win mag. I would have it rechambered in a 300H&H AI so the Wby factory ammo is not used if you go with the Wby cartridge make sure you have the factory freebore or you will have pressure problems.

If you need a gunsmith to do it I can put you onto an ADI trained gunsmith.

Cheers Bill
Australia

IT can be done. Just as long as you accept you cannot run it the same way you can a bolt rig.
I would much rather improve an 06 case than use the larger bolt face, but that is a personal preference after having a bad experience(s) with a 338 Win Mag right after the Encore first came out.

Glad to know it can be done safely as long as they watch it. I know some people have gone overboard in what they can chamber the TC's in.

steve

Personally i wouldn't do it.
The Encore can flex quite a bit.
Really watch case stretch.
Kirby can give some insight into pushing things with the encore as he had a Lazz case chambered for one a number of years ago.

I wonder what the max case head diameter you can safely chamber a TC in is??? I dont know what the Lazz case head is. I know i have heard of problems with WSM and Ultra mag cases so maybe we will see what the limit really is.

Maybe we can get Special K to chime in on this :D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.