T/C Pro Hunter for Long Range?

RidgeRebel

I am looking at all my options for a long range hunting rifle. I aready have a Encore Pro Hunter ML, so I was thinking maybe I should invest in a custom barrel for it instead of attempting to build a bolt rifle. It just so happens that I have both Bullberry and Match Grade Machine close to my house and both specialize in Encore barrels. So I was wanting some opinions here is the Encore system worth trying to accurize? Will it be a good choice for long range hunting? In case you are interested I will either get a 7mm Rem Mag barrel or a 280 AI barrel with a 9 twist to shoot Berger 168 VLD and Hornady 162 A-max.

Thanks for your time

RidgeRebel

I am not a great encore fan, that said I have one that is very accurate. When the State of MS changed the primitive weapons laws to include 35 whelen single shots with exposed hammers I had to give the 35 whelen a chance. I had my pin hole reamed for a precision pin, pillar beded the forearm, and had a trigger job done on it before adding the 35 whelen prohunter barrel. I have shot some 300 yard groups that are just crazy and it shoots pretty well at longer ranges also, well at least to 600 since I changed to TSXs. I can reliably hit my 600 yard steel with it even with a LR dog like the 35 whelen.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.