T/C Encore 45 or 50 caliber?????

Redtail204

I was going to get a new barrel for my Encore was trying to decide between 45/50 caliber, any thoughts or recommendations as to which is the better of the two performance wise????

It depends on what you are hunting. If its deer sized game, the .45 will work just fine. In fact the .45 will work for elk sized game also with the proper bullet selection, but many states have .50 caliber minimum for elk.

I have both .45 and .50 caliber ML guns. When I want to shoot elk, I grab my .50 Omega. I shoot a 300 gr SST with 120 gr BH209. This gives me 4" groups at 300 yards.

If I am after mule deer I will grab my Knight Disc Elite in .45 cal. A load of 110 gr of BH209 and a 200 gr SST shoots flat, and is more than accurate enough (4" groups) to do the job at 250 yards. It gives lighter recoil than the .50 cal.

I have the .50 and shoot the 230 grain surefire (by Thompson) Try the Variflame primer adapter. Cut my groups to an inch and under. I shot 2 deer and 3 hogs and a coyote with mine last year. Wow was the word. My friend gave my a .45 bbl yesterday but I have yet to shoot it. I like the accuracy of my .50 Another thought around here finding .45 caliber stuff is like finding Hens teeth. Just something to think about.

I would not use the VariFlame with BH209. It needs a very hot spark to get it to go off. Maybe using a CCI #450 (small Rifle mag primer) would work though.

The .50 will give you a lot more options for components. I have an encore in .45 and like it but a .50 would make life a little easier to have different components to play with. I just started using Blackhorn209 powder and it has made a huge difference in my shooting experience with the .45! Personally I'd go with a .50 for simplicity.

check out the Bergara barrel for the Encore. They have them with the new quick release breech plug now. gun)

I was planning on getting a Bergara barrel and they are available in both 45 & 50 caliber, hence why I'm asking which is the better caliber choice. They are supposed to be better quality barrel, than the factory T/C's so that is why I would like to try one.

With BP and subs the .50 is just as good, it's only with smokeless that the .45 comes into its own. A .50 gives you more flexibility (ie elk bullets).

The Encore is one of the more hit-or-miss MLs out there, perhaps the Bergera barrels are better but the T/C ML barrels on the Encore, I have seen just as many people fail to be able to find an accurate load or be limited to 85-ish grains charge as I have find a good, 100+ grain load that is accurate.

ATH Try 130 grn triple seven 300 grn hornady hp/xtp 3/4" group 3 shots /2 bullets touching when we were doing a load work up for my sons limeted tag.
the 4 point buck he took opening day went down where he stood @ 80 yards
no complaints with accuracy or perfomance

TCs often have a very tight bore and you must find the right sabot. The Barnes Spitfire EZ 250/290 is a good one to start with BH 209 with 100-120 grains

Go to modern muzzleloading and read the articles on the sabots and which bullets to use in a tight bore TC

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.