synthetic stock question

outfitter55

changed my model 70, 300wsm from its factory sporter walnut stock to a b&c medalist hunter and my accuracy, has never been the same no matter what i try, anyone else dealt with this? and what did you do? thanks!

I skim bedded the action, lug,tang, and first 1 1/2 of the barrel. also made sure magazine wasnt being crushed between the action and floor plate. I can only think that its a problem with harmonics? WAS, a shooter, before?

I assume you checked bases and rings if they tight? Could be scope issue as well... Try another scope just to see if pattern stays the same,sometimes polishing the barrel with bore restore helps...

If you took your barreled action from one stock, and it was shooting well, and went to another stock, and now it's not shooting too well, I'd say you've got bedding issues somewhere.

Have a professional do it----Will cost more in labor to remove your bedding so pitch the stock and start over.

The point was that at least my Smiths will not work with rifles that they did not bed if they were not done correctly and this one was not from the description.

I am sure someone will-----just depends on your expectations.

Put it back in the walnut stock. If your accuracy comes back you will know you have a problem with the B&C stock. Got three screws holding the metal to the stock (2 holding the trigger guard, one thru the tung/floorplate assemby)? If you tighten the center one too tight (it should be snug w/alittle Loctite on it, floorplate will capture that screw so it doesn't get lost) you will induce stress into the action and your accuracy will go down the tubes.

The point was that at least my Smiths will not work with rifles that they did not bed if they were not done correctly and this one was not from the description.
A++++++++ to that! Costs $$$$$$ to deal with problems someone else created. Alot of time and frustration can go into figuring out what someone else did or didn't do and then correcting it. Most of the time it's just not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
stock was glassed correctly, have done many over the years. only has 2 screws not three in trigger guard. I will figure it out. has to be harmonics. putting it back in the wood stock this weekend. Oh and checked the scope [zeiss] and the rings [talley] they are ok. probably just go with a h.s. precision stock instead. thanks!

e-mailed bell & carlson and they never replied back, so e-mailed stockys. they did reply back, [right away] said to tighten rear bolt 30 inch lbs. then do front 30 inch pounds. then do rear 60 and then front 60. do this only on an aluminum bedded stock, such as the medalist. shooting bug holes again!!!lightbulb over & out!

Good to know! Thanx! As far as B&C I send them an e-mail once and never got reply from them, looks like their customer service is unexciting...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.