Switch Barrels

Greg Duerr

I was talking to SGR Custom Rifles about a switch Barrel. I have a .243AI on a Remington 700 SA ..............McMillan Stock, Jewell Trigger, Sako Extractor. Having a 7mm-08 AI Barrel installed that is the same contour sure seems like a interesting way to have Two Custom Rifes for a whole lot less than two different ones.......Just changing barrels for different applications. Dosent do much for the bottom end of a Custom Gunsmith. I would think they would talk you out of it, but Stan at SGR Custom sugjested it to me. He is one of the listed Smiths @ www.6mmbr.com

Has anyone ever seen a swithch barrel, used one, Pro's and Con's.........??lightbulb

I have two of them. Both are actually swap barrel, swap bolt rifles.

One is a Sugreon SA. Has two bolts, one is for .308 boltface (used to be a .260 - but have not decided ites 6mm replacemetn as yet),

the other bolt and barrel is for magnum, my 7WSM;

the other rifle is a Barnard Sigle shot that I use for F-Class; I have one bolt, barrel combo that is .284 Winchester and the other is my 7WSM.

I have indexing marks on the barrels that line up with a tiny mark on the actions, so I know I can get the head spacing right. other then that having a good rear-entry double handle action wrench that fully engages the lug recess makes it a breeze and a decent barrel vice.

On my Barnard rig, I have it down to a science, and can swap that one without thought or problems (a little copper-based antiseize makes it all possible); I am doing some protptyping for a bullet developer and swap the super tight twist on there long enought to test and then take it right off so I can run the Berger 180s and Cuaterucio 189s.

Happy to answer any question that you might have.

JeffVN

I was talking to SGR Custom Rifles about a switch Barrel. I have a .243AI on a Remington 700 SA ..............McMillan Stock, Jewell Trigger, Sako Extractor. Having a 7mm-08 AI Barrel installed that is the same contour sure seems like a interesting way to have Two Custom Rifes for a whole lot less than two different ones.......Just changing barrels for different applications. Dosent do much for the bottom end of a Custom Gunsmith. I would think they would talk you out of it, but Stan at SGR Custom sugjested it to me. He is one of the listed Smiths @ www.6mmbr.com

Has anyone ever seen a swithch barrel, used one, Pro's and Con's.........??lightbulb

It is a lot of expense if done correctly and even then you will most likely have to re zero it every
time you switch barrels.

Even though they are the same contour they will have different barrel harmonics due to the different
twist rates, bore diameters and intensities of the cartriges.

I'm sure that someone has one that they can just switch them out and shoot but I have never been
able to and don't know anyone that can.

Even though it may be a little more expensive to build two rifles I find it easier to make them shoot
more accurately because you can tune the rifle, stock and ammo to best suit each one.

Accuracy is a combination of all components and mix and match parts doesent lend it's self to be
the best it can be.

Just my opinion based on several attempts and less than stellar performance by ether.

J E CUSTOM

I don't think there's cause to be suspicious of a gunsmith for either advocating nor for steering you away from a switch barrel based on the money he makes off of the deal.

If he has a good reputation, then he earned it through satisfied customers.

Can the smith set up a couple/several barrels that you can swap between for your rifle? Absolutely.

Is it a good idea? Maybe/maybe not.

There are situations like JeffVN's that make it worth exploring.

But, it's not like an O/U shotgun with a 4 barrel set. You'll have to remove the stock and use a barrel wrench and retorque things properly. Every time you do that, parts and fitting potentially shift and wear affeting accuracy.

As JE stated, you'll have to re-zero every time.

If no action truing is required, you may be ok. But, if the receiver threads need chasing/recutting, then you may not be able to re-use the old barrel.

If you're ok with all of the compromises, then go for it.

Otherwise, buy a TC Encore (simple/cheap) or Blaser (excellent/pricey) if you still need a switch barrel.

JMO
-- richard

My switch barrel for Remington's is with the barrel nut from Pacnor works fine and I don't need a gunsmith. all you need is to thread the barrel longer.

After you spend extra $$$ on action wrench, barrel vise and headspace guages, any percieved saving goes up in smoke.

This is not meant to be negative, It is just a comment.

The first thing that happens if you talk someone out of what they want you end up with a very unhappy customer.
You should advise and talk about all of the pitfalls if the person wants to go a certain way but not tell him unless it is
unsafe. Call it a cop out but if a smith builds what the person wants after being told of the possible problems
they should not have any complaints with the Smith.

I tried this a long time ago and found it to be to much trouble for the "Savings".

I also tried the contender way and saw no advantage in it. After a while I ended up with almost
a dozen complete pistols. Now I am down to a select few that I like to shoot/hunt with.

The rifles rifles definitely did not impress me. They were never ready to just grab and shoot,
and it seamed like the one I wanted to use was the one that was apart and I would have to
tear down the one that was shooting good,assemble the one I wanted to use and then re sight
it in before going hunting/shooting and hope the accuracy was still there.

Everyone should probably try the switch barrel route at least once and then decide for themselves.

It was definitely not for me. I would rather have one rifle ready to go than two that were not.

Just my Opinion for what it is worth.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Here's one for ya. I've got a barrel nut for a remington 700. Same style as on savage, just threaded for remington barrels. If you would be interested in it I'll sell it to ya. I myself am a one gun man. (700LTR .308) Some day I might make a dedicated varmint rifle, but it does everything I could ever want it to do without packing a wagon out in the field to haul it around.

Can do.
14961le.jpg

2j5yop2.jpg

Pacnor sells them for $65 and then shipping gets added into that. I'll sell it for $60, and I pay the shipping. It has never been unwraped from the packaging and it has some sort of packaging grease so it doesnt rust.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.