Switch Barrel Set up ????? for a gunsmith.

Agunner012

Hi and thanks for replying,

I have a Remington 700 Action (long, magnum), that was set up by a gunsmith friend of my dads. It has a pinned recoil lug and is set up as a switch barrel rifle. It is currently a single shot .300 RUM.

My question: Can I have a barrel threaded and chambered by say PAC NOR, and a set of Dies made for it? I want to use an empty case to head space it? I want a 6.5 WSM barrel chambered for it, and would rather not send the rifle out to a smith. Is this possible?

I would also consider buying the barrel from a gunsmith and having do the work and then send me the barrel when he is done.

Andrew

unless they have measurements from previous work on your gun they wont be able to pre-fit you a barrel. they will need the action--unless the previous smith has the dims on file and can send them to pac-nor--even then it is up to their discretion--they probably wouldnt want the liability.

JB

Thanks jb1000br

I thought setting the Remington as a switch barrel would have been like a Savage. Buy a threaded pre-chambered barrel, set headspace and shoot it.

I have a lot to learn, thanks again!
Andrew

I would send them the action so they can fit the barrel thread pitch and diameter to match your trued receiver, "exactly".

I would not go to the expense and accept a loose barrel thread, which would more than likely be the result. POI shift will be almost certain.

I'll be using ramp thread and also lapping them in in the future.

I have all my actions done by one smith and he has all the measurements. Just call hem and tell hem what gun I want a barrel for and he orders it and chambers it wall I shoot the gun. But he has to have the action for the first barrel to take measurements.
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.