Swift twist rates

Ballistic64

wondering what would be the best rate for a Swift using 55-60 gr. bullets,12" or 14"?
Ive heard that with higher velocities that a slower twist is needed,is this the reason for 14" on most Swifts?

With swift velocities, I would disagree with Fiftydriver's recommendation of a 12 twist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Think about it. Most 222 rems, 22 hornets, 221 fireballs, and 22-250s all have 14 twists from the factory. This is because they know that most people will want to shoot 40 grain to 55 grain bullets. The average lengths of these bullets is not very long (thus not being hard to stabilize) and they work in a 14 twist clear down to 3000 fps. So a swift at velocities approaching 4000 to 4300 would even need less of a twist to make these particular bullets work and in fact, the lower rpm's induced to those bullets by say a 16 twist would actually help to settle them down more quickly right out of the barrel. That could in theory translate to better 100 yard groups. I am not saying a 14 twist won't shoot great groups at 100 (mine in fact shot 1/4" groups at 100 quite regularly) but it is something to tinker with.
A 12 twist would be good for the 60-70 grain range indeed. However, if you are going to get a whole new barrel with a different twist, I would go with an 8. This will put you into a whole new league as far as what bullets you can shoot. The 80 grain VLD style bullets have <font color="blue"> DOUBLE </font> the bc of the 55's and can effectively increase your range to around 1200 yards from about 800 with the 55's.

Just something to think about! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Goodgrouper,

No problem on the differing opinion. In most cases you are probably correct but I tend to be a bit on the conservative side and error on the side of having a bit more twist then is actually needed.

I guess I look at a twist that will work in any situation, sea level, 10,000 ft, -20 degrees to +100 degrees.

A 1-12 twist will handle any bullet weight from a 40 gr up to some 70 gr class bullets in any situation. I personally do not care for the 1-14 twist unless the bullet of choice is a 50 gr pill.

I have seen enough 1-14 twist 22-250s and Swifts not shoot the 55 gr Ballistic Tip well to just recommend a 1-12 which I have yet to see not handle these bullets at any velocity.

Just erroring on the side of caution. Tend to do that to keep customers happy and my rear out of a noose from some freak situation where something that should work does not.

Also, many load the Swift to 22-250 velocities to safe on barrel life, the 1-12 is in my opinion a better choice for this velocity range with the tipped Boattail bullets.

Just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

10-4 good buddy!
I wish my gunsmith was worried about keeping his rear out of a noose with customers! If something isn't quite right, he plays it like he's the almighty gunsmith and the customer is just a know-nothing moron sometimes.
DId I just say that!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GG,

I have met many of my fellow smiths that acted the way you discribed to their customers.

Personally, I am lucky, the level of guys and gals I build for are generally extremely skilled in the shooting sports and can not be BSed into thinking they are the problem.

Thats good though, makes my rifles and handguns look very good when they cut little groups.

I guess my moto is "The instant you think you know everything is when you will meet that one person that proves you know nothing!!"

IF something does not work for a customer of mine I don;t sleep well, and I really like to SLEEP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

GG I have seen that first hand with a friend of ours that shall remain nameless. He started going to gunsmith school and then at some point during this they started building some rifles for credit and he ended up building 2. A 6br that is pictured over on a thread of mine and a 6.5 x284. He now thinks he knows "everthing" about shooting, gunsmithing, and reloading!
His favorite line is " I've been to gunsmith school and know what I'm talking about " It drives us nuts at times but we laugh when he gets proved wrong and most of the time he does it to himself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7RUMLoader,
I would love to give you more response to your post but you made me spew a Coke on my keyboard . I think we all know 3 or 8 people that fill this description. time to clean my keyboard before it sugar lock's
thank's B.

Sorry about the coke spewing brian! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wonder if a hornady 55gr v-max would shoot in a 1-14 if
the 55gr ballistic tip didn't? As the hornady is a flat base
bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.