Swift Scirroco .22 cal.

cattrax

I have a 22/6mm (224tth). It shoots a 75 gr. AMax very well. I'm wanting to shoot a similar weight bullet that will perform better on small deer and antelope. The AMax goes to pieces. The Swift bullet is the only one I see that might fill the bill. Does anyone have any experience with this bullet or the Scirroccos in general? My barrel twist is 1:8 and current velocity for the AMax is just under 3700. Thanks much.

I have not used the .22 cal Scirrocco, but the .264 130g is exceptional. There are not a lot of choices in the .22 cal for big game. GS makes a .22 cal HV that they have used extensively on African game with very good success. You may want to look into it.

Steve

Another option would be the Barnes TSX 70 grain 224. Would be better than the Amax at close range. I'd also prefer the Nosler 60 grain partition over the Amax up close. But the Scirroco should be a good choice if it groups well.

Thanks for the replies. Who is "GS" that makes the bullet? I'd like to stay with the heavy 75-80 gr. bullets if possible. If there was a 75 gr. partition or accubond I'd be on it.

Cattrax,

I had a 226mm with a 1-9 pacnor barrel it would shoot the amaxes into little groups all day long. As for deer sized game I had 1 failure which ended me using amax for deer. I tried the 60 grain partions, swift scirrocos,64 gr power point and tripple shocks. the txs work well but the animals will run upto 80-100 yrds. the scirroco was the least accurate bullet but performed very well I have taken a few deer and coyotes at 400+ yrds with the scirrocos. I think for long range work I would prefer the scirrocos. However the 64 gr winchester power point is hard to beat for general purpose bullet.

billy

I dearly love the accuracy of the amaxes, even @ long range. But as a game bullet, well.......I shot an antelope this past fall at about 275 yds. Low in the chest. It disintegated the heart and most of the lungs. Somehow, it managed to also penetrate the diaphragm and get to the liver. The explosion must have been devastating. Some would say what more do you want? I guess I want a game bullet. I'm glad to hear the Scirrocco is that and I hope it shoots well. It appears to have a greater bearing surface than the amax or berger.

Thanks for the replies. Who is "GS" that makes the bullet? I'd like to stay with the heavy 75-80 gr. bullets if possible. If there was a 75 gr. partition or accubond I'd be on it.

cattrax,

Here is a link to GS Custom bullets. They are not conventional bullets, so they are not conventional weight. If you are interested read the info on their site. They are exceptional bullets, but you must have an open mind, and be willing to let go of the conventional thinking that you are used to on bullets.
GS Custom Bullets - Designed in South Africa - Proven on the toughest game on the planet.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.