Swift bullet BCs

winmagman

Some companies are notorious for over stating their BCs while others are pretty spot on with theirs, how soes Swift do with their stated BCs?

I have an itch to try the new 6.5mm 130gr Scirocco but thought I'd get some opinions/info first.

Chris

Swift Scirocco's are pretty spot on for there BC's. From what I've read anyways. Most are overly inflated, but the scirocco uses a design almost like the target bullets, thats what gives them there higher BC's. I remember a magazine did an article on all the 30 cal bullets and BC's and I think the only 2 that were close was the Sciroco and the SST's. All the rest were a lot lower then the manufacture claimed. I have found that Nosler Btips are usually pretty close as well, although they are not usually spot on. Shooting and confirming is the best way.

I've only tested the 30 Cal. 180 Scirocco but it beat its advertised number by a bit. Given that I wouldn't expect them to be exaggerating any of the others.

Swift, I have found is pretty dead on. A-frames resemble BC of a flying brick while the Scirocco had the highest BC bullet of any hunting bullet.

The BC for the Swift 180gr Scirocco at 3225 FPS is 0.520.
Were as the Nosler 180gr Partition at 3225FPS is 0.474.
They are both pretty high BC's.

I've shot the 130 gr. in a .270 and my buddy has shot the .300Rum 180 gr. and we have taken numerous whitetail and mule deer and the average retained wt. of the ones recovered is about 70%, I have been satisfied with them.

winmagman, Only problem with the Sciricco is that it is LONG for weight due to the target shape. I had Krieger do a test on a 7mm 150 gr and it needed 1/2 twist faster than most bullets to stabilize! This is why the mags shoot it good & std calibers are so so I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wapiti, I've got a 6.5-284 with an 8 twist that I might try them in and I'm looking into a 6.5 wssm, that was the primary reason fo asking. Thinking a 130 gr bullet with a .571 BC would be about perfect in a 24" barrel at around 2800 fps. Should be about the perfect carry rifle for whitetails out to about 400 yds.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.