SWFA SS vs Sightron SIII.....

megastink

Want some help deciding what to put on my .270. This is my woods gun, so most of my shots are under 150 yards. Therefore, magnification isnt a huge priority. But, I do overwatch some 500 yard long cornfields from time to time, so shots that far do present themselves. I'm torn between two scopes:

-SWFA SS 3-9x42
-Sightron 3.5-10x44 (non illum)

Both can be had for under $600 if you look. Both get great reviews. Theyre very similar scopes, save the sightron has a paralax, but I'm not sure I need it.

If you could only pick one....... why? GO!

I really like my SIIIs. I have two of them now. Both are the 6-24x50mm. Have t ever owned a SS. So can't really comment on one. But I know that my SIIIs are as clear as a vx-3.

I love my SIII, can't speak for the SWFA as I have never looked through one. One big difference between them however is the SWFA 3-9X is only available in MRAD. The SIII comes in MOA if this matters to you.

I really like my SIIIs. I have two of them now. Both are the 6-24x50mm. Have t ever owned a SS. So can't really comment on one. But I know that my SIIIs are as clear as a vx-3.

It is an insult to an SIII to say it is "as clear as a VX-3". They are far superior to any Vx-3

Well, I found a great deal on a brand new Sightron 3.5-10x44 mrad, so I'm going that route. If I dont like it, or want more magnification, I'll probably swap it for a SS 3-5x42. Thanks for all your help!

I've got the 3.5-10x44. Great scope, great glass. I'm a big fan of Sightrons. Anything SII Big Sky or better at least. (SII's I've had really really struggled in low light.) Also, they've got top notch customer service.

All that being said, I wouldn't go with that scope for a woods gun. It's big and heavy.

Here's a picture of the 3.5-10x44 that I've got on my muzzle loader.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.