Swarovski

etisll40

Lookin at the Swaro's need an opinion 1000 yards and under, which one? Is a 1" tube really worth the money vs say a Vortex or Leupy Mk3 or 4? Anyone a scope junkie?

I've been evaluating a few Swaro Z3 and Z5 samples recently. The Z3s are similar in performance to the Zeiss Conquest line, with perhaps higher transmission, Compared to the scopes you mentioned the Z5 advantages are larger zoom ratio, lower weight and higher contrast. The contrast, in particular, is amazing. Vortex PST scopes have mediocre contrast and are not even close. Leupold VX3 and MK 4 are better but nothing like the Z5. I personally like the 3.5-18X44 model with the BRH reticle.

Whether or not those advantages are worth the extra cost depends on your application. For long range hunting in the mountains at dawn and dusk, it probably is worth it.

Depending on your caliber, you may need a biased base to get out to 1,000 yds.

I have 8 Swarovski scopes and consider them, for me, the best scopes out there. If I were going to shoot 1000yrds I would get the highest magnification in the Z6 line with a 4A reticle assuming you will be shooting large game. I have 2 with the BR Reticle for varmints but in very low light situations the hash marks can be hard to see with a dark background.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.