Swarovski X5 Riflescope Review

ADMIN

Administrator
I was pretty hopeful when I first learned of Swarovski's plans to produce an entirely new long range rifle scope. I've been a Swarovski optics user since I shot my 65 inch Alaskan moose with one in 1997. It was the first "field test" of my new "dangerous game" rifle chambered in .416 Weatherby topped with a very "short range" Swarovski scope. Already back in those days I had been using Swarovski binos and a spotter. So as soon as the X5 was announced and described I thought I'd maybe buy one. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Swarovski X5 Riflescope Review, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Like you Len, I liked the X5 so much I purchased one for a .260. The only problem is I cannot afford to put one on all my long range rifles. There may be a few scopes that are just as good but none that are better. John

This stuff is getting stupid price wise, for an small improvement you get socked mega bucks.

I agree that Swaro produces some great glass and I have a pair of EL bino's but I bought them used. I'm not shelling out that much money (for bino's or scopes when almost as good is much less expensive.

I'm retired and my pockets aren't as deep as yours are Len....

Like you I am retired and living on a fixed income. The thing about this scope which made me purchase one is the pride the Swarovski family has in their products. They spent over five years developing the scope. It has over 200 stainless steel parts with all but two had to be redesigned. Long range shooters crank on their turrets all the time, it is good to know the parts are stainless steel. Anyway there are scopes that cost less but do we know who will own the company tomorrow or who will honor their "life time warranty"? This has happened to me more than once. Like my father said "you get what you paid for".

I agree, but I'm not planning on being here for another 50 years so a 'lifetime' warranty for me is a shorter time.....:) and getting shorter everyday.:D

I'm very impressed with my used 10-40 EL's. In fact I sent them to Swarovski in Cranston, RI for a cleaning and alignment. Turned out the OP never registered them so I'm the OP by default. I got them back with new eyecups, no charge. Would I pay 2300 bucks for a new pair.... No way.

I'll leave them to my son. The warranty is transferrable, just like most optics warranties are, today.

I did have to appease my wife with a Swarovski crystal bird to make her happy (when I bought them).

I've pretty much obtained all the log guns I'm going to buy and most handguns too and everything that wears a scope already has one on it.

The exception to that will be a Smith and Wesson 460 XVR but I sure as heck ain't putting a 2500 dollar plus scope on a 1500 dollar gun.

Interesting how 'best' seems to equate to highest price as well.

I'm trying to figure out the point of your comments..

So far I have figured out your old, cheap, and have a pile of stuff laying around..

What does that have to do with the current topic?

Well bub, I'm old, not cheap and I do have a bunch of high buck firearms and optics...laying around, to be used.

Go change your diaper. Might improve your perspective on life.:D

Well bub, I'm old, not cheap and I do have a bunch of high buck firearms and optics...laying around, to be used.

Go change your diaper. Might improve your perspective on life.:D

Diaper changed..

The point of your comments?

My point is, this is quickly becoming a rich person's sport. Gone are the days of sanely priced equipment and rifles.

That, in itself, will cause the sport to decline as the audience decreases. The average 'Joe' can no longer afford the equipment and raise and feed a family.

Myself, I have all the 'tools' in my toolbox that I need to hunt anywhere in the world, any game animal.

Glad I bought the 'tools' when they were sanely priced.

Yes they are expensive but there are several that cost even more.

It's economy of scale and the higher the scale gets, the less participants there are.

Good example is, how many people can afford a Cigarette boat? Not many, however, many can afford a 17 foot bass boat or runabout.

Just how much better is a 2500 buck scope compared t a 1000 buck scope? Can the average hunter really tell the difference or is the 2500 buck scope a status symbol?

Some shots may warrant the uber buck scope but most won't.

I think I mentioned earlier that I bought a pair of Swaro 10-40 EL's. The only reason I did was I got them used but well cared for from a good friend for less than half price. Are they good, sure are. Are they worth 2300 bucks new to me... no way. My Vortex Diamondback 10-40's are almost as good, for a whole lot less.

I say almost, I cannot tell any difference in image quality, I can tell the difference in low light conditions but that's it and certainly not worth an extra 11700 bucks (retail) in my view.

Warranty is the same on both. The difference is Swaro will clean them and align them for life, whatever life means. Life can be forever or tomorrow (if the company goes tits up).:)

My point is, this is quickly becoming a rich person's sport. Gone are the days of sanely priced equipment and rifles.

That, in itself, will cause the sport to decline as the audience decreases. The average 'Joe' can no longer afford the equipment and raise and feed a family.

Myself, I have all the 'tools' in my toolbox that I need to hunt anywhere in the world, any game animal.

Glad I bought the 'tools' when they were sanely priced.

Last I checked, I could still go buy a savage 11/111 long range and a super sniper for about 1K..

Its like complaining about a supercar review in road and track, no one says you have to buy it, no one says its the only option. I'd guess there isn't any weather to complain about today though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.