swarovski range finder evaluation....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Got my new Swarovski range finder in yesterday and have been playing with it quite a bit over yesterday and today.

I took it out yesterday at 1:00 on a very hit and clear day. VERY intense bright sunlight. It would get consistant readings off from round hay bails out to 1300 meters consistantly and I got several reading in the 1350 range.

On cows I was able to get readings consistantly out to 1100 yards. The best thing is that it was picking up ranges taken on freshly cut flat hay fields consistantly out to 1000 yards with no problem at all. I would say it would miss 15 to 20% is all for tries on just bare grass fields.

My Leica 1200 would never do this.

Tonight I took the Swarovski out just as the sun set and did some ranging and I was totally amazed. I was getting reading on cotton wood trees at 1695 meters consistantly, no misses at all.

Also, in the better ranging light conditions I was getting consistant readings on bare grass fields out past 1300 yards so even prairie dog ranging at this range would be extemely consistant. Even got several reading in the 1540 to 1575 meter range on slightly inclinded grass covered hills.

This thing will be awsome for big game hunting this year.

I also get in my Wild Optical range finder. I am very impressed with this ranging tool as well. Finally got it calibrated and with a little practice, which these tools do require, I am already getting readings within 20 yards of that the Swarovski is ranging in the 1600 meter range.

The clarity of the Wild optical rangefinder is amazingly high quality, I would say it is at least as clear and the Swarovski which still blows me away. It has certainly been used but seems to be functioning in perfect condition.

Once I get my eyes trained to be more precise with the Wild I suspect it will prove invaluable for extreme range shooting.

Ranged some cows this morning at 22,500 meters, don't think I will ever outgrow this little Swedish jewell.

More field reports later. Just wantes to tell Shawn C. and everone else that responded concerning the Swarovski RF thank you for a great recommendation, it is by far the best rangefinder I have tested in a handheld commercial range finder. I think the Leica matches this one in optical clarity but it provides more range so it is well worth the extra price in my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
Very nice report. It does confirm over and over what others have said about the Swarovski Range Finder. I hope one day I can afford one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby,

Glad you got one. I have had 3 for 3 readings across a canyon on a 4' or so rock at 1986 yards. this was in good light but elbowed over the hood of my truck. I have noticed that a tripod helps some but not as much as it does with other LRF's. I just don't think there is a current LRF that even compares with the Swaro.

Great review Fifty.

This is exactly what I found when using the Leica and Swaro side by side. For the big game hunter who never shoots past 800 yds the Leica is enough.

For long range varminting or extreme range big game hunting the Swaro would be my choice. I can now say that the Swaro is definatly worth the extra money.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.