Swarovski Laser Guide Owners

daj

Guys, I need your advice on what constitutes "normal" performance in a Swaro Laser Guide.

Long story short:
My first Laser Guide was returned to Swarovski Austria after a few days testing because indicated ranges were inconsistent. eg a 886yd target (a large white tower) would indicate 886yds sometimes but between 200yds and 600yds at others.
The second unit was returned because it had trouble ranging anything over 900yds.
I have just received the third unit from Swarovski and am having trouble deciding if it is a keeper.

My test location is on top of a hill looking across a valley to a mountain 2,000yds distant. There are prominent buildings and trees at various ranges across the valley. A new battery and tripod was used for the tests.

Results so far:
50% success rate ranging the 886yd white tower. (sunny & clear)
25% ranging targets 1300yds to 1500yds. (sunny & clear)
50% ranging a large white building at 1760yds. (after sunset)
10% ranging a cliff face at 2030yds. (before sunrise)

The confusing bit is that in identical conditions my Leica CRF1200 ranged the white tower 100% of the time at 887yds. (but it ran out of steam on other reflective targets at just over 1200yds.)

What do you think? Is the third unit a keeper?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

DAJ , your experience is even worse than mine . I thought maybe I was the unluckiest Swaro. Buyer around , but now I know I'm not . I got 2 duds that did exactly what yours is doing . My third one works fine .... so far ! I sold my Leica 1200 Scan , and I still have a queasy feeling after those 2 bad boys . No consistency in readings at all . Hundreds of Yards differential on the same Target . I get a headache looking at the old Data from late 2005 . I would have thought Swaro . had control of this problem by now . The third one has been very consistent and I was able to reach out to 1600-1700 Yards on some Targets , so I did not get an actual Max . I was looking for something good to about 1300 , so I stopped . Looks like you should try again . Remember too that in the Owners Manual it says Swaro. will pay Shipping Costs ....costs add up when you make 2 or 3 returns by Insured . Priority Mail ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Get another one !!! That is not the way they are supposed to work .

I guess I feel fortunate to have the first one I got work as intended .

Hang in there and go the extra mile to get what you paid for .

Jim B.

Thanks Jimm and Tulku.

I'd actually settle for a reliable 1,000yds and that's why I opted to change my Leica for a Swaro. - reasoning that buying 50% more max. range than I need would get me there in spades.

Incidentally, after the second faulty Laser Guide was returned, Swarovski assured me that a technician would check out the third unit before it was shipped to me. I've asked for a copy of the test results.

I bought one last summer and it is working fine. I would return your unit and get one more.
The 4th times a charm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.