Swaro Fliers

daj

Guys,

Have any of you experienced "plain wrong" ranges being displayed by your Swaro Laser Guides?

During testing of my new Swaro, I ranged across a valley to a house at 1760 yds, GPS confirmed. The Swaro occasionally gave a reading of 1765 yds but usually it displayed the "out of range" dashes. However, I also had occasional random fliers displayed eg 1,200+/- yds, 860+/- yds, 250+/- yds. and so on, and there were definitely no intermediate targets.

Ranging targets under 1,400 yds gives much more consistent readings but there are still occasional fliers making repeat measurements necessary.

Substituting a new battery did not improve matters.

I don't know if the above is normal for the Swaro but ranging with my Leica CRF was always totally reliable within its range. If it gave a reading, it was always spot-on and there were no fliers.

Thanks for any feedback.

havn't had that issue with my swaro. I havn't had it for a long time yet, but at long range it either gives me the range or it doesn't. Doesn't give me any wierd ranges, unless I hit something else(tree branches, power line, etc) on the way there.

The only time I have this issue is w/a low battery, but you already tried that. I would call Swaro and have them look @ it if you are not happy. They will make it right.

DAJ , ABSOLUTELY !!! I had the same problem with my first two Swaros . The third works perfectly . Send it back , they will send you a new one . They do not repair or diagnose problems in the USA . If you read the Manual very carefully , you will also see that Swaro. will refund your cost for shipping a defective unit to them . Save your Insured Postage Receipts ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the money, I had expected flawless performance from my Swaro so in a way I am relieved to hear that mine is NOT behaving normally. Still, it's a shame this sort of fault is not picked up in the factory pre-release acceptance tests.

tulku, I remember reading about your epic search for a working Swaro some time ago. Hope I don't repeat your run of bad luck. Thanks for the tip on postage costs.

Time to call Swaro.

DAJ , the Folks at Swaro. were pleasant to work with . As a suggestion , I would keep track of the Serial No. so you know what you sent and what you're getting . Had a heck of a time finding it ; I think it was under the battery ! I have kept my Leica 1200 Scan for many months until I felt confident in the Swaro. , so now it goes on Ebay .

tulku, do you still have the serial numbers of the two Swaros you returned?

Here you go DAJ : 752727215 and 751022884 . I got these right from the Swaro. Packing Slips . Unfortunately the Third Serial No. , I now see on their Slip does not correspond to the Serial No. .... I wrote down after looking at my LRF a year ago . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Grrrrrrr .... and the darn Rangefinder is stashed away where I can't get at it for a few more weeks due to recent Surgery . Man , I hate to debug an Item this expensive . I hope your #2 is a good one ! I would'nt sell mine for $1000 now ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks tulku. Our ser. numbers are well spaced so I guess the faults are random and not batch related.

Swarovski (Austria) has just advised me to return my unit to the factory so they can check it out. Hmmm! It may be a while before I have a rangefinder again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have a speedy recovery.

I have one as well and it seems to work great--one of the issues when dealing with companies located overseas. I will be glad when USO puts their range finder out in the market. The Swaro will go on ebay for sure—never had any complaints with any USO product and they perform beyond my expectations!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.