Swaro 8x30/Leica 10x42 brf

Id go with the leica! i have the 7x42 and the 12x50 I guide 15-20 whitetail hunters a year on preserve hunts and have to be able to score a deer on the hoof with only a +- 3-5 inches you count on your glass! I have tried them all even the swaro 8x30 ! none compare in my eyes especially between the 8x30 and 10 x 42 but that is my opinion

good luck!

Thanks for the reply Wildworks,

However I have not made my question clear. I'm really asking about the 8x30 Swaro Laser rangefinder vs the Leica 10x42 binocular /laser range finder combo., and it is the laser performance that I'm primarily interested in.
Thanks, Jim B.

My friend just got the 10x42 leica bino/rangefinder combo. If they are consistent from one pair to another you will be impressed. How far do you want to accurately range? The leica responds quickly and we can easily hit the 1200yd grass hillside every time. The binos are what you would expect from leica…..top notch.

That is not a fair comparison as the swarovski is a 8x monocular and the leica is a 10x binocular. Really apples and oranges when glassing is involved.

I wear glasses and I purchased/sold my swarovski rangefinder because I was unable to see the LCD read out unless I had my eye perfectly center in the lense. I have the Leica 1200 rangefinder now and do not have this problem.

jimm,
this is not really a fair comparison, but with that said I will give you my opinion the swarovski will range find farther than the leica. the leica is only rated to 1300yds and there are several people on this forum that claim the swaro will go far past this. on the other side of the coin the leica has an awesome 10X42 bino to make an awesome combo and the swaro is just a fangefinder that has good glass in a monocular. the biggest difference is the price at the new Cabelas store here in Utah the Swarovski is $850 and the leica geovid 10X42 is 2 LARGE yes $2000.
both are top notch but they are very different pieces of equiptment.
UB

I know that you are right UncB. I only placed them side by side for the purposes of comparing the rangefinders. Since that was my purpose the dollar diff was not an issue.

I am bothered by the post regarding eyeglass wearers having more difficulty in using the Swaro.

I guess it boils down to do I want to get a good lsr and a Oehler chrono /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif or a great bino with a good lsr built in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jim B.

You are comparing two things slightly different.

I had a chance to use pete lincoln´s leica 10x42 bino/rf and compare with my swaro 8x30 slc bino/ leica rangemaster rf combo...

Distance readings were absolutely coincident; clarity with my swaro bino and the leica was about the same, and although the 10 magnification is great when you need more details on a target, the 8 x is in my opinion more comfortable.

Now the great thing about the leica 10x42 with integrated rf is that you have both things in one, which avoids the need to first spot with bino, then change to RF.. and maybe change to bino again if the target moves... and so on.. using both in one piece is great and still you may be saving some weight overall, apart from diminishing chances of a deer slipping away becuase you mess around with two things instead of one.

Contact Pete Lincoln and he´ll help you.

[ QUOTE ]
....and it is the laser performance that I'm primarily interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim - If you are looking for distance performance rather than optical performance, The Swarovski monocular will outrange the Leica Geovid binoculars by 300-900 yards depending on target size and reflectivity. With the Swarovski, in bright sun, I can get 1800 yard readings on house sized objects, at dusk, the Swarovski maxes out at the electronically capped distance of 1999 yards. You won't touch that with the Leica 1200 or any of the Geovids currently on the market that I am aware of. Leica Vector? whole different story....

I wear progressive lens glasses and have no problems whatsoever with the display in the Swarovski. I find it much easier to view than the display in the Leica 1200. I don't have a Geovid on hand to compare it to.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Hey Don,

Thanks for the reply, especially good from a fellow 4 eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
BTW , what do you have? online store ,brokerage? just wondered if you have a good deal on the Swaro.

Thanks again , Jim

Guys i reviewed a set of Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF for a UK gun/shooting publication..
i abused the Geovid over several weeks( including a rund through the dishwasher, being frozen in a pond at -15c chucked out of a tree stand and couldn't fault it.
Its the best rangfinder ive used, (bar the Leica Vektor military model) it is also just so much more handy and quicker to have a combined binocular rangefinder..
regards Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.