Swamp Rifles?

I live in louisana! Never heard of a swamp rifle! We have swamps, bean fields, woods where you can see 50 to 100yrd's an right of way's(pipe lines an high lines). Guess what I'm trying to say is if I hunt the thick wood's a 45-70 is my choice. Anything else I use a 7mm rem mag! Hope this help's.

DT

I do a lot of that type hunting in Florida and my go to gun for this is my Marlin 30-30 lever action. My open country guns are my Ruger M77 Mark II's. Out to 300 yards I grab the 270. Anything further it's my 7MM Rem Mag.

I use my S&W Model 29 in a 44mag loaded with 240 gr Nosler hollow point. Great deer round, good out to 85 yards.

.375 H&H , .35 Whelen, .44 semi-auto, currently using a 30-06 built light and short, using the 200 grain or heavier bullets. I don't have the Whelen any longer, but it remains tough to beat.

I'd probably use my 338 Federal because it is a SS Synthetic but I might consider my BAR because it has a 1.5-6 Euro Diamond sitting on it.

Sight's are very important! When I was young, under 100yrds it was open sights. Now! on my 45-70 Marlin I use a Qick Point, on my 7mag's, one has a 4x12 Leupold, the other has a 6.5x20 Leupold. Everyone has their own personal choice of rifles&sights, these are just mine. Hope this help's.

DT

This is an interesting post I really would like to hunt a real "swamp" like the cyprus bogs of the south....Our "swamps" are a lot different up north...

Some of our cattail bogs and beaver swamps up here are 1/4 mile or more across and my idea of a swamp rifle is a 25-06 or better yet a 6.5-06 with a good scope....Remember that Jack O'conner loved his .270 as his best "brush gun" ...His writings explained that all bullets are deflected by brush and a smaller caliber actually fits through a smaller hole in the brush.....He actually did tests shooting in the brush to "prove" his theory...Only a theory though because brush patches are like snow flakes the are never quite the same!

Good post keep em comin,
Bogboy

Good post Bogboy! Jack Oconner was a great champion for the 270. Can't say nothing bad about one, my Dad shot a 270 for as long as I can remember. Like I said earlier, to each his own! If a person prefers a certin caliber, an they are comfortable with it,Great! As far as the swamps an bogs up north,a swamp is a swamp! Just that down here in Louisana, we just happen to have the largest swamp in north America. It's all the same, whatever the person likes,, I'm on his or her side!!!!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.