surplus military powders

oldfamily

Just wondering what rounds could be loaded with this surplus powder. Are the ultra mags large enough to use this powder? Was thinking of buying an ultra mag in the near future, and being able to use these powders would be a real plus.

I have had some experince with WC872 which is used in 20mm Vulcan rounds. It works really nice in the Allen Mag rounds but in the ultra mag rounds we couldnt get enough in the case to make it work good.

With 872 you need to get your pressures up high enough to make it burn clean, otherwise it can be a coal factory!!

As for other powders I dont know.

good luck
steve

Oldfamily,

WC860 would probably work well as its a little faster burning then WC872 but still intended for the 50BMG. I do not care for 5010. Has proven very inconsistant in the past when I have used it. I have never used it in an AM.

WC820 is a very fast burning powder used in the military loads for the old 30 carbine. Would be a good powder in the RUMs if you were looking to blow up a rifle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

820 is no good for large capacity cartridges.

Of all of them I would recommend you order in some WC872 as this is generally "new" powder if you order it from the right place, not pulled powder. Tends to be more consistant.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby could not find burn rates for nothing, a buddy at work and myself was thinking of ordering in some powder from Hi-tech ammo which is only two and half hours from us. He has a Lazz warbird, and then the ultra mag. If we went on a powder run we would pick up several pounds of it. Calibers that would be looked at for burn rates that would work are. 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra, Lazz warbird,257 STW, 7mmSTW, and more than likely more calibers that would work with these powders. Thanks oldfamily.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Kirby could not find burn rates for nothing, a buddy at work and myself was thinking of ordering in some powder from Hi-tech ammo which is only two and half hours from us. He has a Lazz warbird, and then the ultra mag. If we went on a powder run we would pick up several pounds of it. Calibers that would be looked at for burn rates that would work are. 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultra, Lazz warbird,257 STW, 7mmSTW, and more than likely more calibers that would work with these powders. Thanks oldfamily.

[/ QUOTE ]

WC-872 will work in the 300 Ultra and Larger case capacity cartridges.WC-872 will only work with 180 or larger bullets and this is with all that can be gotten into the case and very heavily compressed with my lot of this powder.If my lot was any slower it would be too slow.These powders are non-canister powders and may very from lot to lot more than canister powders.You should be very carefull when doing load developement with these powders,because you are own your own as there is no printed and tested data available to my knowledge

Oldfamily,

I've shot just shy of an 8 lb jug of 5010 pulldown through my 7mmRUM & it's the best powder I've used in that rifle. It does well with bullets from 135gr up to 180, & out to 1,000 yards. Some have said it's a barrel burner, but like most things, more depends on how you treat your barrel - IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Oldfamily,

These surplus powders, at least WC860 and WC872 are to slow for the 300 Win Mag and way to slow for the 338 Win Mag.

They work well in the 300 RUM with heavy bullets as mentioned already but you will get more velocity with powders such as Retumbo in the 300 RUM.

The Warbird is similiar, with bullets over 180 gr you will get good results but with lighter bullets this powder is to slow.

With the 257 STW, you will get good results but again you need bullets of at least 115 gr and even better is something in the 120 to 130 gr range where these powders really start to work well.

The 7mm STW I would place in the same class as the 300 RUM. With bullets over 160 gr these powders should work well but not with anything lighter then this.

The issue to get these powders to work well is to keep chamber pressures up near the top working levels of the chambering. AT top pressures, these powders burn much cleaner and more consistantly then at lower pressures. As such, you need to be able to get the pressures up where then need to be and in a case that is to small or bore that is to large, you will not get into this range of pressure.

You want a round that will offer at least 95% load density with these powders with top loads and even up to a 105% load density works well. There are not many round that will do this with light bullets but with heavy bullets they work much better.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sorry to hear this about the wc872 my 300 win mag loves it.
1/2 moa all day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not saying it will not work and work accurately. What I am saying is that it is to slow for the 300 Win to get a combination of top velocity potential with top velocity.

Hows the powder fouling with your loads and what velocity are you getting with what bullet weight.

Kirby Allen(50)

178 amax 2950 fps don't have notes in front of me right now on the load.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oldfamily,

These surplus powders, at least WC860 and WC872 are to slow for the 300 Win Mag and way to slow for the 338 Win Mag.

They work well in the 300 RUM with heavy bullets as mentioned already but you will get more velocity with powders such as Retumbo in the 300 RUM.

The Warbird is similiar, with bullets over 180 gr you will get good results but with lighter bullets this powder is to slow.

With the 257 STW, you will get good results but again you need bullets of at least 115 gr and even better is something in the 120 to 130 gr range where these powders really start to work well.

The 7mm STW I would place in the same class as the 300 RUM. With bullets over 160 gr these powders should work well but not with anything lighter then this.

The issue to get these powders to work well is to keep chamber pressures up near the top working levels of the chambering. AT top pressures, these powders burn much cleaner and more consistantly then at lower pressures. As such, you need to be able to get the pressures up where then need to be and in a case that is to small or bore that is to large, you will not get into this range of pressure.

You want a round that will offer at least 95% load density with these powders with top loads and even up to a 105% load density works well. There are not many round that will do this with light bullets but with heavy bullets they work much better.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby. Which one would be better with the 7mm stw wc860 or wc872 with 190gr to 195gr bullets?