Surgeon Actions

IChaseCoues

I have been looking around and have come to a conclusion!
My next rifle is going to be a custom from A-Z. That will be cheaper and easier than the buildups I have done in the past.
My search begins for the component list. And it starts with the action.

What do you all think of the Surgeon actions?
Has anyone had any experience with them?
What do the 'smiths think of them?

The buildup will be aimed at a 800yd gun for mulies and smaller critters. Gun weight needs to be in the 10-12 lb. range for all day packing. I am thinking 6.5 or 270WSM.
I searched the site and found no specifics on these actions.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Their tactical action weigs in at about two and a quarter pounds , If you think about it they make alot of sence , you don't have to have your bolt sleved or the action blue printed , you never have to wory about the scope base comming off and the recoil lug is intergrated which adds some length to the threads.
I talked to them a bit about making an action out of Ti and so on right now the best they do to save weight is mill out the center of the scope base to make it a two piece style.
Personaly I like the hell out of the looks and the idea

IChasecoues , If you want a long range gun why don't you build a 7 mm STW or 7 mm that Kirby builds.My First coues was a 94 3/8's.

I can't say that had any experience with the Surgeon action, but I've stopped by and took a look at their actions. If I were going to build around a short action I would go with the Surgeon. I like the idea of having the scope rail/recoil lug as one. Correct me if I'm wrong but you could switch the barrels out easily with the surgeon action since the recoil lug is fixed.

Bounty hunter, the Timberline and Alpine actions will not have the bumps they are reserved for the more expensive rimrock hunting and BR actions,ackleyfan

I was hoping to hear some hands on experience. Maybe they are too new.

Blas,
The biggest coues I have so far is around 80. Helped my father this year with a 95 incher though. Those little critters are addicting.

The big stick will have to come later. Or, maybe just instead. Im thinkin a 277AM but cant decide on the action.
Oh, well its gonna be a while anyway. Gotta see what happens with the taxes this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts