? Surgeon action/Brux barrels

MN Hunter

I am looking to build a 7mm RUM using a Surgeon action and a Brux barrel. What is everyones experience with either of these two manufacturers? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
Surgeon actions-1st class, if you are not happy, you can't be made happy! I do not work for them,have an intrest in them, sell them etc. About a year ago, at my gun club you started seeing more and more, all that use love. Brux barrels, I have no knowledge of first hand. One last thing, I am only familiar with the standard size Surgeon, but have heard the long action is just as good, I would have no reason to think otherwise. You're going to have a keeper when your though!

After more research about actions and barrels than I care to admit to, I decided to go with the Surgeon single shot short action and Brux barrel for my custom build in 7mm SAUM. Jim See at Center Shot Rifles is doing the smithing. The rifle should be finished in the next few weeks and I will post pics and results as they come avaliable. I also went with a Manners T2 stock, that will be dipped in Marine Corps desert digital camo (go figure), the barrel and action will be finished in tan CeraKote, and CSR 3 port muzzle brake.

I agree with brassprep, if you aren't satisfied with the Surgeon/Brux combo then you can't be satisfied.

Sgt gun)

I have a couple of 1/4 to 1/2 moa rifles with Brux barrels on them. Clean really easy too..

Brux barrels

I have a 6.5-284, 1-8 twist Brux barrel on a 18" rear-grip Remington XP-100 set-up for 1K shooting. My 15 year old son Erik, was competing in a Long-Range handgun Competition this past June and won the "Heavy-Pistol Class" at 1,000 yards.

5-shot group measured 8 3/8" inches with four of the shots under 3 inches. You can say I am pretty impressed with Brux barrels:D

Surgeon actions IMO are the best of the best. I have owned one of the WSM actions and it is built like a tank.

That being said, I am currently having a rifle built on there new "cheaper" action. It is Called a RSR or RLR. "Round short repeater or Round long repeater". It is a round style action that will work in a stock for a Remington 700. It has a double pinned recoil lug, choice of bolt knobs, one piece bolt, all stainless and if you purchase the scope base it is pinned as well. It is a great deal

At around 750 for the action. It is already trued. You even have a choice of bolt lug clearence.

It is cheaper to buy this acion ready to go than it is to have a snith true a 700 and add all the extras that it comes with.

Customer Service is top knotch as well!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.