suppressed 284 win or 270 wsm barrel length??

LOL mental troubles! Thinking I should be running a 26" tube and going 22" cause of a can but really liking 18". I will get over it. But thats why I'm building a 250 Savage. Then there are choices.o_O

I just got my suppressor in November, 2 of the rifles it will be going on have 24" barrels. They are to long to deal with for trying to get out of a truck fast. I do a lot of coyote callin and you always see some driving around making stands. So with the suppressor on there at least in my truck I have to have my rifles on the back seat so you pretty much watch stuff run off. So the gun I use the most is getting a new barrel that's going to be 20" or under. Most likely it's going to be a 16.5" proof.

I just got my suppressor in November, 2 of the rifles it will be going on have 24" barrels. They are to long to deal with for trying to get out of a truck fast. I do a lot of coyote callin and you always see some driving around making stands. So with the suppressor on there at least in my truck I have to have my rifles on the back seat so you pretty much watch stuff run off. So the gun I use the most is getting a new barrel that's going to be 20" or under. Most likely it's going to be a 16.5" proof.

i've been trying to successfully call in and take my first coyote and bobcat over the last few years...it's been tough sledding, trying to learn and run everything myself. i've called coyote and grey fox in, but my setups have always been just a bit off- i've been carrying an 1187 or 20" 6.8 arp. with a can on the end, the 20" is workable, but ultimately too long. i have 8t .224, 8t 243, and 11t .277 blackhole/columbia river arms p3 blanks waiting to be turned into some 16" ar bull profile mid gas barrels. plan on using white oak competition extensions w/ mega sbu uppers. with luck, i'll have one or two done for next season.

after bagging a couple deer with the flintlock- 1st priority:), i finally got out for some predator hunting late friday afternoon, i had them howling on the ridge in front of me, and heard some crunching around me at various times, but nothing was willing to commit. they're freak'n spooky in pa. the abundance of mntn laurel where i hunt really makes it tricky- tough to shoot em if you can't see them.

bobcat's in til feb 5th this year- so fingers crossed!

We don't have much call for 270 WSM. I tailor clients to 6.5 with 140s to 160s. Nothing wrong with 270 WSM, we just wanted to have something different. Same reason for 7mm,325 WSM, and 416 WSM. We just didn't like bullet selection with 416 and our 458 WSM is way cooler with subsonic capabilities.

With that said, I have a few barrels where we tested 270 WSM. Our preferred load is the 145 ELDX. Stays together better than ABLR. As promised, at the bottom is a projection with the big Berger and one with our chrono'd 145gr load. We keep our loads 5kpsi under max. You could push the envelope more or we could do custom ammo for you. And don't be scared we arn't stupid with prices.

For Twist, 1-8 is sufficient even for the Berger. We do 1-6.5 and 1-7 for 6.5 WSM and the groups are nuts. For you going to 1-7 or 1-7.5, I would say do it. We have never had a fast twist rate jackup a bullet or accuracy and our 338 Federal has an insane twist rate. We don't publish that one yet.

20" Barrel - RL26, 63.2gr COAL 2.900", Burns it all. 170gr Berger should yield 2800 FPS if you have plenty of freebore.

20" Barrel 1-8" Twist - RL26, 67gr, COAL 2.850" AccurateMags DBM, Burns it all. 145gr ELDX chrono'd 3010 FPS

i'm trying to determine what barrel inlet i should choose for my stock. i've decided not to use a mcm thumbhole, and i'm now looking at manners eh6a, eh2, eh3 and mcmillan remington hunter and hunter stocks. the limits on barrel profiles vary by stock of course. i'm now leaning towards the eh3 or one of the mcmillans. most of these stocks are limited to a ~#4 while the mcm hunter will handle up to a #8. i'm concerned with achieving a good cheek weld w/ the added height of the arc nucleus's 20moa rail. i expect i'll run my vx3 4.5-14x40 cds windplex, but also have 1" vx3 3.5-10x40 leupolds, and 1" 42mm weaver superslams.

so, what's the best barrel profile/stock inlet for a switch barrel hunting rifle running 18" to 22" barrels. 1st of course will be a 270 wsm. next up, likely a 6.5 wsm. the 338 and 358 cats are interesting, but only if i manage to acquire a suppressor to run them. the carbon wrapped barrels are out. i'm thinking along the lines of a #4 sporter or possibly a #5 w/ the mcM hunter. but of all the profiles and cylinder lengths, using a barrel nut, what should i go with??

senal, how many fps would i loose with the 145 eldx if i went with an 18" 270 wsm? would the loss of these 2" nix the use of rl26?

senal, how many fps would i loose with the 145 eldx if i went with an 18" 270 wsm? would the loss of these 2" nix the use of rl26?

Have had a 270 wsm in a sako 85 for over 10 years now.
Barrell has had .5 in trimmed off but running a dpt suppressor , 145 eldx gives me 3330 fps with 70.3 grains IMR7828ssc. The accuracy is phenomenal with bullets overlapping on the target at 200 meters. I've shot chamois at 725 meters , bull thar at 570 meters.
For hunting elk and anything smaller this projectile at this speed is a real performer. Over 800 rnds and still shoots better than when it was new. These loads will not fit in the mag so have to be loaded one at a time .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts