Suppress or not to Suppress

Action

This may of been asked before, Looking at starting out doing some long range hunting. I am looking at different set ups with guns and the question I have do I suppress it or not sppress it?

If it's approved by CINCHOUSE and your state, YES. It makes shooting, IMO, much more enjoyable for you and anyone with you. Any accuracy benefits are just gravy.

suppress everything and don't look back. You can always take it off if you go somewhere its not legal.

First thing you need to do is find out if its even legal for you to own a suppressor where you live. If you live in the US and plan to hunt with the rifle, I do not know of any states that allow suppressors to be used for big game hunting. If its just a target rifle, no problem in many states but some states do not even allow suppressors to be used for varmint hunting so look into that before you invest in a suppressor.

Actually lots of states allow total hunting with suppresserd weapons. Texas just passed and will be legal first week in sept. but we've always been allowed to hunt exotics suppressed. I know Oklahoma is legal and several others. Hell I just heard Oklahoma just passed the right to carry a side arm in the open in public

If you live in the US and plan to hunt with the rifle, I do not know of any states that allow suppressors to be used for big game hunting.
Luckily a lot more than people realize!

Here's an unverified list where you can hunt big game silenced: AK, AR, AZ, CO, ID, KS, KY, MD, MO, MS, ND, NE, NM, NV, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf/HUNTING WITH SUPPRESSORS-STATE LAW COMPILATION.pdf

Obviously read your own state regulations before you go in the field.

Actually lots of states allow total hunting with suppresserd weapons. Texas just passed and will be legal first week in sept. but we've always been allowed to hunt exotics suppressed. I know Oklahoma is legal and several others. Hell I just heard Oklahoma just passed the right to carry a side arm in the open in public

If you come to the western states I would make sure they allow it.

Open carrying of a handgun is allowed more then concealed carry.

Luckily a lot more than people realize!

Here's an unverified list where you can hunt big game silenced: AK, AR, AZ, CO, ID, KS, KY, MD, MO, MS, ND, NE, NM, NV, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf/HUNTING WITH SUPPRESSORS-STATE LAW COMPILATION.pdf

Obviously read your own state regulations before you go in the field.

I have a hard time believing some of the states you listed allow suppressed big game hunting. I would make for **** sure before you tried it. IF you said those states allow owning supressors I would believe that but I have a very hard time believing they all allow big game hunting with suppressed rifles.

Check with your state and do not take anyones word for it, they will not be the ones getting arrested and fined over it, you will be!!

Fifty, I'm sure GemTech would love to hear about mistakes in their list. Nobody wants to spread disinformation.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.