Super Sniper Scope....as good as they advertise

Ramses II

Hi,
I'm new, and looking to do target shooting out to 500 yds. I thought this might be a good forum to get some great info. I'm considering a .308 and looking for a good value on optics. SWFA has the Super Sniper Scope, that they rave about. Sometimes (a lot of times) things don't perform as advertised. Any experiences?

Ramses II

Welcome to LRH. Can't speak from personal experience, but have a lot of friends; who swear by them. Plan on ordering 2 in the next few weeks myself. Two things that should make it sell itself are: Military specs & etched glass recticle. Besides, the next step up more than doubles your money. If ya can afford mo better, take a look at leupold. If you're like me, and have to pinch pennies til they bleed, go with the SS.

There are great value. Optically very useable. I feel they are about the same as the Luppy VX 111. Not as good as the Nikon, Euros but also 1/3 the price.

Repeatable knobs. I have used several 10X and one 16X. Optics are good in these. The only 20X I played with had horrid optics. Maybe just a bad apple but you may want to check that out.

Jerry

Ramses II, As a matter of fact this was my very first Tactical/Longrange scope and the price was real cheep compared to others. It came out like maybe 12 or 15 yrs ago. It was quite a long time ago, and it is still around today. Poor products don't stay on the market that long. Anyway the turrets worked very well for me, as back then I use to count clicks till I was shown how to use them in MOA's to make quicker adjustments.

The only problems I had was with the mildot reticle and the fixed power. I never did figure out how to use the mildot system but they say if you get the mildot master, it will teach you everything you need to know on how to use the mildot reticle to its fullest potential.

Also for me I did not like the fixed power that I purchased. I thought it would be OK but I just did not like it. I have always like the ability to adjust magnification depending on situations.

I now use the Leupolds VX III's and the Mk4 LR/T M1's but they remind me a lot of the Super Sniper with the 30mm tubes, big turret knobs and the 15MOA per turn adjustment. I also like the side focus of my Leupold better than the focal ring on the scope as you donot have to move positions to adjust or set.

I guess now they are built exclusively for SWFA in Texas. From what I have read the quality has gotten even better and they are still half the cost of the Leupold MK4's. If I wanted a Tactical/Longrange scope and I had to watch cost I would have no problems purchasing one of these again. I might just look to see if they had it in a 3-9 or 3-10 or a 4-14 or something like that also I think now they offer it in the side focus as well which is very nice.

For their cost and features I think these are a very good scope. They are definitely high end for their price point, all thing considered. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Thanks,
Ben

Hey Ramses,

My brother bought the Super Sniper 10x42 side focus. It was a nice scope, but it was totally useless when the side focus quit working after 5-10 minutes of ownership. He sent it back to SWFA, and got his money back.

These scopes are supposed to be built to military specs? Good luck to the sniper that might have been using this particular one...

The funny thing is, I actually read a review the night after he bought this scope, and a guy had the same exact problem...

Johnathan, I Purchased a Nikon Monarch 800 for bow hunting this past fall, and first time I went to use it nothing, it did not work but that does not mean I returned and didn't replace. No, I exchanged it for one that worked.

I have seen on this board people who have gotten a brand new Leica rangfinder and they have not worked. Does this mean that we should not purchase or use them?

No, It just means that for some reason a company that normally puts out a good quality product, had one of there units fail for some reason.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion, you certainly are. I am just saying, "Eat another sheep a thousand wolves can't be wrong." Nor can the thousands of folks that have purchased the Super Sniper Scope and love them.

Ben

I've been using these since before SWFA had them. You bought them at military contract price from Hoffman Enterprises, just under $800 back when.mid 80's IIRC.

Finally broke one of these last fall. Well actually didn't break it, just wore it out from dialing a few thousand firing solutions. that's about 8 barrels on my 308. Not a bad service life for a 400 buck product.
Never seen one actually break, don't know an actual owner who has broken one. Know alot of folks who have a friend who knows someone who broke one, never even seen a disparaging article on one of these, although many such mystical articles are cited on the net.

Buy one, let us know how it turns out. They have a lifetime warranty.

Hey Shadowman,

I agree with what you said. On the other hand, Ramses is looking for personal experiences with this certain product, and I just gave him my experience, along with my brother's.

[ QUOTE ]

Never seen one actually break, don't know an actual owner who has broken one. Know alot of folks who have a friend who knows someone who broke one, never even seen a disparaging article on one of these, although many such mystical articles are cited on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.

My only thoughts are first if they did thier reserch and thought it was good enough to buy then who would buy something and then just return and not exchange to get what they wanted in the first place. It makes no sense to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'd like to have read that article as I to have never seen anyone have anything bad to say about this scope to the piont that they might never use it.

Have fun,
Ben

Shadowman and Hoodcounty,

I don't know what you guys are trying to say. It seems like you are questioning my integrity, that is how I see it.

What's up with the innuendos?

1. "many such mystical articles are cited on the net"

2. "who would buy something and then just return and not exchange to get what they wanted in the first place. It makes no sense to me"

3. "I'd like to have read that article as I to have never seen anyone have anything bad to say about this scope to the piont that they might never use it"

You guys are insinuating that I'm not telling the truth. Why? Do you guys live in a world where you have to see it to believe it? Well, I'm sorry, that isn't how it is.

This is really a shame. <u>That's ok, though. I will go on, with my integrity, and without laying false accusations upon somebody.</u>

Well sir, here's what I said;

Never seen one break. I never have. Been around these for almost 2 decades. I've worn 1 out, and only one.

Heard people cite "articles" on the net or in print.
I've never had anyone who could point me to a copy of the article. I'd like to read one, and find out who wrote it so I could get some idea of the authors experience.

That's all I said. What I said was/is accurate.

It wasn't about you.

Johnathan, Not trying to say anything. I am Not, "questioning your integrity!" I am not calling you a liar! I totally believe what you said, I am positive that they like every other company in the world have from time to time had one of their products fail just as you stated. I believe that 100%!!!

I to stated that these were good and that I too have read many article and have never come across what you said. I too asked to see article to gain further information.

I did question why someone would buy a product and if they had difficulties why it was not exchanged so that you could have working item of what you wanted. I thank that's a fare question, if you want to call 5 minutes experience.

To further understand I asked why someone would just return an item and assume that this is the norm for the product and then "insinuate" that it was junk after only 5 minutes use.

I repeat you are totally entitled to your opinion based on those 5 minutes, but that has not been my experience or that of others based on an extended use over a period of time.

The post asked for information based on experience, an I find myself wondering if a person can truly be objective or knowledgeable with only 5 minutes experience on anything?

I REPEAT I THINK YOUR TELLING THE TRUTH!!! I say it again, I am positive that they like every other company in the world have from time to time had one of their products fail just as you stated.

Hope this clears up what I ment.
Ben

Ok guys,

I understand that there is going to be one bad apple, and that no optics maker can make all of their scopes, without having at least one of them fail.

Yeah, we messed with the scope for about 5-10 minutes, turning the turrets, side wheel, etc... During that time, the side focus literally quit working. To go into more detail, when it quit focusing, I could feel a slight grind in the wheel. It was smooth before that.

The only option from that point was to take the scope apart, and see what the real problem was, or send it back. We definitely weren't going to take it apart, void the warranty, and not even be able to return it. Not that you could even get in there to fix it, anyway. So he sent it back. He didn't want another one after that.

That is the only experience that I have had with a Tasco Super Sniper, hands on. I guess I could have just not said anything... Was it fair for me to share my experience with this scope, knowing that it probably was just a bad apple? I don't know...

All I can really say is, if the side focus would have worked, the scope would have been perfect. I really did like the scope, and I don't know what I would have done, if it would have been mine. It was my brother's, though. He did what he wanted to do with it.

Have a friend that had one on a 308 hvy bbl for a number of years. Had at least 2 barrels on it. Then swapped it to a Barret 99 since he didn't have the cash for a NF. Has been on there for 3 years or so. Has yet to give him any trouble. We've shot it out past 1700 yards and back down to 100 and the adjustments track well and repeatable. I suspect the 50bmg and those 700+ grainers are tough on the scope and mount.

I'm neither pro or con off this one, but if I need this type of scope and am low on cash I'll sure give it a go.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.