Super Slow Burning Powders?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by NZ Longranger, Dec 10, 2007.

1. NZ Longranger

NZ Longranger Writers Guild

I've just got the opportunity to buy some super slow St Marks ball powders and was wondering if anyone has heard of or had any experience with the powders slower than 872?
    These are 886, 888, 890, 891, 895 and 995.
    I'll have to buy a drum so would be nice to know something about them before ordering and shipping it all the way out here!

2. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

I have never of St. Marks powders. I`m always looking for cheap powder so I would guess that they are not available here in the US. The biggest problem I would have is that I have no idea where the powder is in the burn rate chart. If you can get loading data for it, it might be worth a try, who knows.

3. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

St Marks powders are made in Florida (Thank you Mr Google). It's owned by General Dynamics.

This is from Winchester's web site.

Winchester® Smokeless Propellants - Reloading, Handloading, Smokeless Powder

Hope this helps.

4. brianwinzor

brianwinzor Well-Known Member

I did a google search on St Marks Ball Powder and found numerous references to their plant, and some of their ball powders. I could not find a reference to any of the id numbers of the powders you mention.

I would love to be able to source a ball powder that is about 10 - 15 percent slower than my lots of H870. Brian.

5. NZ Longranger

NZ Longranger Writers Guild

Sorry, didn't realise you guys didn't know that St Marks is the company that makes all the Winchester ball powders, and I think most of the ball powders manufactured in the US including all the military powders. They make everything from the fastest shotgun up to the super slow versions like 872 and the slower ones I'm interested in. They are made in your country, you guys should try and access some as they may make some of the seriously overbore cartridges, like the full length 7mm/416 Rigby improved I'm playing around with at the moment, come into their own.
    Brian, if I can get some, I'll figure out a way to get some over to you.
    Greg

6. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

The lot of WC-872 that I have is indeed slower than H-870....

7. brianwinzor

Greg, I hope you are successfull in acquiring the super slow powders, and yes I would love to try some, if somehow we can manage to find a way to get them to Oz.

It is quite likely that later next year I will be over in NZ, with my 2 sons and their partners on a 2-3 week camper drive tour of North and South Islands. Brian.

8. brianwinzor

jwp475, Thank you for that information on WC872.

At the moment my maximum load is 69.0 grains/H870 with the 156 grain Wildcat in my 257Weatherby. This represents a load density of around 81%, and I would prefer to use a ball powder that achieves at least 85% and preferably over 90%.

My early trials using Vihtavouri 20N29 have been a flop, with powder bridging seeming to be the cause of my problems. I will try some lighter loads soon, just in case this lot of 20N29 is much faster burning than I expected. Brian.