Super Light Stocks

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
After hiking through Oklahoma's excuse for mountains I have realized a hunting gun that weighs 17lbs is for the birds!!!!

I am gettin ready to send my 270AM back to Kirby to start a light weight gun project in the same bad @zz round. I have to talk good about the round after blowing through 3/8" of steel at 980yds and only needing 14.25 MOA to get there from a 100yd zero!!

I am needing a super lightweight stock to use for my new skinny boy. I have heard of some of these carbon fiber stocks but i dont know much about them. If anyone knows of anything please tell me. I was wanting to do the gun in a kind of prairie/desert pattern so i was thinking about the Mcmillan HTG in a desert camo but i aint sure on the weight.

Just wanted to see what you all thought.

thanks, steve

I was worried because my new rifle weighs 8,8lbs (unscoped) but I see theres some guys walking around with heavier stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...

I think Mcmillan can apply the edge technology to many of their stocks and this should reduce the weight.- also try Manners he can go to some 2 lbs with the tactical and 2,2 with the thumbhole tactical.

Hightech Specialties makes a Varmint style stock for Rem 700's that weighs 20 ounces and is pretty rigid.

Lone Wolf also makes some nice ones that are realy light weight but their cost is about twice what the Hightech's is the last one I finished took a little more work that I would have liked but I think it was worth it.

What barrels are you gonna go with this go around?

I've spoken with Tom Mnners several times over the past month. They are coming out with an Ultra-light model that will weigh just 20 oz. (1.25 lbs) and contains up to 80% carbon. It will most likely accomodate up to a #5 contour, although Tom had a Sendero barrel in shop and he thought it might fit as well. The HTG model from McMillan comes in at 32 oz. McMillan also has an Ultra-light that comes in around 22 oz.

You might look at Lone Wolf's lightweight stocks. Their Summit &amp; Summit XL are two of the lightest/strongest stocks on the market. My summit XL is just over one pound finished and bedded. Nice stock.

I have a 700 7mm STW with a high tech specialties stock, 28" fluted (I think #5 contour) factory tapered barrel with brake, with a 6.5x20 vari-x III in loopy mounts weighs 8.5 pounds. The stocks are very good, brownells have them or you can order direct from Mark Bansner, owner.
JS

Lerch,
I am looking to head down the same road as you. I have looked into the McMillan light weight stocks and the Lone Wolf. I am trying to decide between the 2. You may want to look at the McMillan again because I don't think you can get their Edge hunter in a molded camo only one color painted, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck and please share you findings.

Oneshot

That´s what i was tols also.

However, i suggest you bear in mind the stock profile and especially the forend width. I have a mcm mountain stock in my 7 rm, &lt;pretty light but too small for properly grabbing the rifle sometimes.

Lerch,

I have been using Lone Wolf stocks for about 9 months now, Their 100% carbon fiber stock is amazing, just emagin a full tactical stock made to fit the large 338-408 actions weighing in at 20 oz. "unlimited" I would think the std 700rem type stock would even be lighter. Drop Bob an email and he can give you all the details. 100% carbon does cost more as the carbon is expensive. Tell him Dave @ Viersco sent you. [email protected]

If you get it without gel coat they are even lighter.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.