Suggestions/Recommendations

TallTx

New here, first post and all that. I'll get an intro post shortly.

I have started a bucket list and the first thing I've added is to be a proficient long range shooter. My goal is to have fun and enjoy my time on the range, not to be the next match winner at Perry. The problem is, I no longer have a long gun (divorces can be brutal) and I'm looking for recommendations for a 308. A reloading bench isn't feasible in my apartment so unless I can make a deal with someone, I'll be using factory loads. The catch is, I'm left handed and right-eyed but the budget for my rifle and scope is up to $2,000.00, maybe $2,500.00.

What do yall suggest?

Buy one of the savage long range models and the best scope you can swing.I'm using a nikon with the BDC reticle and had a ball this morning shooting at 775 yards in a bit of a wind.I love the smell of powder in the morning!!!

Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec .308 with 24" barrel, with a Vortex Viper LR HS 6-24x50 (MOA reticle), EGW 1-piece 20 MOA base, and TPS TSR 30mm Low rings.

You should be right at $2K, and would have a really nice starter setup. Nicer than my scope on my 5R .308.....I'm using the same rifle, rings, and base, but a cheap Konus M30 8.5-32x52 ($350 scope @ Midway). Excellent scope for the money, but I think the Viper LR will definitely be better glass and money better spent.

Buy one of the savage long range models and the best scope you can swing.I'm using a nikon with the BDC reticle and had a ball this morning shooting at 775 yards in a bit of a wind.I love the smell of powder in the morning!!!

I agree with this guy. A mod 12 target rifle will do what you need. Look at either the Palma, f-class, orbench rifle. All long barrel, target purpose built rifles. They have an adjustable trigger that can be set from 8oz to 1.5#. Get into a weaver T-36 scope. Use the egw base and for the money, Burris xlr rings.

Contact Geb from snowy mountain rifle company,site sponsor, they're gtr series rifles are full custom for under 2000.They use Defiance actions and they're own custom built actions, ptg bolts, timney trigger, detachable mag system, custom barrel. While the 5r's which I own 2 are good guns the snowy mountain rifle I own is in a league of it's own when compared. Best value I've ever found. You will not be disappointed. Take the 5r and add the cool stuff the gtr comes with detachable mag, 20 moa rail, timney trigger, ptg bolt with m16 extractor, threaded handle for tac knob and you'll be over the price of the gtr with a stock action and barrel. It's really a no brainer, take a look they're great people, they probably have some ready to ship and stock fine optics, ''geb'' name is Nick he's awesome to work with. If you could stretch your budget to the 2500 mark I'm confident he could put you a package together with a vortex PST mounted on their fine custom rifle for 2500 or really close. If you really think about what your getting it's worth so much more then they're charging. If your budget doesn't allow the 2500 and you don't want to wait send me a pm and we'll work something out on one of my 5r's with or without optics. I have one with a timney trigger and detachable mag system with less then 100 rounds that shoots great. The other is stock with closer to 200 rounds, both are like new, very well kept, never overheated, cleaned properly, I've just quit shooting both since I got the gtr from Nick.
Shane.

+1 for the savage. I have 2 savage 308's and a buddy bought one after shooting mine. My main go to gun has a vortex hs lr and I love it. Me and my buddy have video on YouTube shooting them at1290 yards.

i would get a rem 700 pss,vs,vssf. for targets a 36x scope. staying under 1000. i woud get a reloader. the next 500.

Good reccomendations all around.

The only lefty Savage I found on their site is the 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP package deal and I did find that the Remington 700 SPS Varment comes in a LH version.

There is a rifle that I had never even heard of until I signed on here and thats, Tikka. What do yall think about it?

Never owned one, but I hear good things. If you plan on customization later on, the Remington 700 or Savage would be the way to go. And as I am not a Savage fan, I will continue to pull for the 700's. :D

Nothing wrong with any of the guns listed.....However, we all have our favorites.

Tika, is a quality rifle but the sporter weight barrels are not much for the long range department. The tactical with the heavy barrel may be better. This is coming from someone who had 3 of them 243, 308, and 300wsm sold all of them and bought rem 700's and built a 7rem mag on 700 action. I havn't even shoot my 5r 300wm yet, yet been to busy playin with the 308. After market upgrades are all but unavailable for the Tika's another reason to go rem. Never owned a savage, and have no desire too, so can't tell you anything about them.

Savage 12 BVSS
Savage 12 Long Range Precision
Savage 10 FCP McMillan
Remington 700SS 5R Milspec
Remington 700 SPS Varmint (trued)
FNH SPR A1

Except for maybe the FNH which may be closer to $15-1600. If your right-eyed, try learning right handed you'll have more options. just my 2-c.

Never owned one, but I hear good things. If you plan on customization later on, the Remington 700 or Savage would be the way to go. And as I am not a Savage fan, I will continue to pull for the 700's. :D

Nothing wrong with any of the guns listed.....However, we all have our favorites.
MudRunner what part Bama you from im in very north east corner gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.