Sufficient scope/barrel clearance?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sambo3006, Mar 18, 2006.

1. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

I picked up a Browning stainless stalker and consulted the Leupold website on ring height for the varixII 4-12x 40mm. Their site said that low rings would work. I usually use medium rings with this scope, but I thought that low rings would put it closer to the bore and make for better cheek placement on the straight comb stock.
    I mounted it and I have the barest of clearances. Maybe a few hundredths of an inch between scope and barrel. It is as far forward as I want for eye relief. Just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt the scope with a shock wave from the barrel or something. Shouln't be any barrel whip that close to the receiver.
    Help me out, O Wise Men!

Sam

2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I think that as long as it's not touching you are good to go. I have a .243 with a scope mounted very low, and no problems.

take it for what it's worth....good luck

3. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

...put a sheet of paper and a sheet of carbon paper in the gap. Fire the rifle. If the carbon paper marks the paper, the scope is too low.