Successful AZ Black Bear Hunt

Great bear, great story...
My last bear wasn't nearly that great and my story even worse.....
my son reminded me that bear season came in on Fri (that was a couple of years ago ) and after I shot the darned thing recalled that F & G had staggered the seasons ... when I checked the reg's sure enough the unit was still closed ..this was after I had packed the head and hide and a good portion of the meat out by myself..
I called the bear hot line and told them I'm be in on Monday ... I went before the judge and she asked me how I pleaded, I told her guilty and that I had turned myself in .. she read some attachments on the back of the citation and said I'll accept this (the wildlife officer had written the attachment and I've never seen it) how does $50 sound.. dumb me ... the only thing that I came up with was "sounds good I'll see you again next year" ... dumb me ... I sure hope I don't have to go in front of that judge ever again .... I don't know I could stand at attention that long then.

Congrats on your successful hunt as well. What I did was much easier than what you had to do. Making the right decision and showing that kind of personal integrity is a trophy in and of itself.

azsugarbear, great story I am not sure how I missed this one when you posted it. I am in AZ as well and was going to try to pull together a spring hunt but it didnt happen this year. Deffinitely on the bucket list though.

Bear hunts in AZ are deffinitely a challenge it is usually very warm in the day and the terrain is pretty ugly stuff, a lot of work. Congratulations!

That is a great story, well written and one heck of a hunt. I've found myself very grateful for help a couple of times after dropping game some distance from the truck/trailhead.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.