Success!

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by COBrad, Aug 11, 2013.

1. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

My greatest passion in hunting is long range marmots. The goal this year was to break the 3/4 mile mark, 1320 yards.
    It's a 3 hour drive from my house to my shooting place, and another hour to hike in. I went in Friday night to be ready the next morning when the air was most still. For a couple hours yesterday and this morning the air currents were steady, resulting in a .75 MOA wind drift and a slight down draft worth .25 to .5 MOA, with an occasional gust. By mid day the clouds would roll in and the wind made it impossible to shoot long range.
    This morning after several near misses I connected at 1332 yards, and later rolled one off its' rock at 1393, but it made it down a hole... no picture so not an "official" hit.
    I'll have to try for his buddies next week.

Attached Files:

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Wow! that is fantastic! Congratulations!

Now give us some specs on the shootin' stick. Rifle info, optics, load data etc.

3. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Rifle was built by Quarter Minute Magnums.
    BAT HR action, Jewell 20 oz trigger, Greybull stock with bedding block milled out and glass bedded instead, Kreiger #19 fluted barrel cut to 28". Chambered for 7 Rem mag, .307 neck, throated for Berger 180 gr VLD. Badger Max 50 rings, Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16 scope with Darrell Hollands ART reticle.
    Loads are 64.3 gr H4831SC, Federal Match primers, RWS brass.

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Wow - that is a fantastic rig!

5. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Brad thats one awesome rifle and some fantastic shooting. Congratulations on a job well done.

6. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Fine shooting, congrats!!

7. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Great Rifle and Great Shot Brad!

8. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

Dang that's cool!

Niiiiiiice shootin! :D

9. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!
    Fifty Driver, I have plans for that 270 WSM you built as well.
    Last year's long shot was a 592 yard marmot with it. I'm hoping next weekend to make that 800 yards. I'll be very happy with an 8 lb scoped elk rifle that can double as a light weight walking varmint rifle... wait, I think I have that wrong. I have a light weight walking varmint rifle that doubles for elk.
    There, that's better. (insert grin)

10. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

Brad, great shooting. Glad you got past your goal. Love it when a plan comes together.:)

11. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

Awesome. I used to own 7mm Rem Mag.

I wonder if 180 VLD blew up the marmont. It looked intact?

12. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Thank god for the yellow bellies. There ain't much funner things to do than to marmot hunt. Too late in the year here in Idaho but spring is right around the corner........:D

Randy
    Charter member of CIRCA---Central Idaho Rockchuck Association

13. canderson

canderson Well-Known Member

Great shooting.

14. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

No Fear, the bullet at that range did not blow apart, but judging from the hole it did mushroom nicely. It certainly didn't pencil through. Ol' whistle pig only made it a few feet from his rock.

mtnwrunner, at the elevations I'm usually shooting at, 12000' +, there is usually only a few weeks of shooting before it begins freezing hard enough that they just don't come out to sun on the rocks. I have another place an hour above my house where I am shooting at around 10000', but I can't find the distances. About 800 seems to be all the further I can get there, so I use the elk rifle.