Styles of Stocks

94Winchester

Out of different styles of stocks such Modern classic, Monte Carlo, and the kind of stocks that the M40a3 and the M24 use, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each style with regards to long range hunting?

Out of different styles of stocks such Modern classic, Monte Carlo, and the kind of stocks that the M40a3 and the M24 use, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each style with regards to long range hunting?

That's a pretty broad question that will get you all kinds of responses. Is there something in particular that interests you?

For long range hunting, I prefer stocks with vertical grips and adjustable cheek pieces. Vertical grip is comfortable and allows for an easy trigger squeeze. Adjustable cheek piece allows you to perfectly align your eye in the scope along with perfect cheek weld.

What I had in mind was a stock for a long range hunting rifle that could be used for backpacking for elk or deer.

What I had in mind was a stock for a long range hunting rifle that could be used for backpacking for elk or deer.

I am putting together a rifle that I think will be a splitter between a backpack and a dedicated long range rifle and chose to use the McMillan ADJ HTG which is a M40A with an adjustable cheekpiece. The adjustable cheekpiece adds about ½ pound to the setup but I think it's worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.