stw does a hat trick

lloydsmale

took the rem 700 in 7stw out crop damage shooting for the first time last night. Had a group of 4 deer come in at about 600 yards. A bit to far for my shaky rest so i was patient. they finaly came in to about 440 by my rangefinder and I shot the first one. it dropped in its tracks and the other 3 came running toward me believe it or not and stopped at 350. I then shot the next biggest doe and it dropped. Again they came running another 50 yards toward me and i dropped the next one in its tracks. Could have shot the 4th too but it was a bit small. Load was a 150 nos bt and max velocity. All three were shot right behind the front shoulder and all dropped in there tracks. not a bad showing for its first trip to the field.

Totally awesome. I want the bullet, powder and seating depth. Do you have a pic of the exit wounds? DRT? What kind of scope do you use?

bullet is the 150 ballistic tip. powder 7828. I wont give the charge because its a bit above the books. Primer is a fed match mag. Seated just as long as I could and still get them in the detactable mag. 50 cent sized exit holes in all of them (ive shot 4 others with it in the last week) except the one i hit right on the shoulder. Little bit of a crater on the exit of that one. It was the only one though that i lost a bit of meat with. Scope is a 3x10 nikon monarch.
Totally awesome. I want the bullet, powder and seating depth. Do you have a pic of the exit wounds? DRT? What kind of scope do you use?

Good shooting!The 7STW is wayyy underloaded in the books these days.I was looking at my Hornady manual and the 7mm Weatherby magnum was beating it.I don't think so.I know Weatherbys are freebored,but the case is not that much bigger than the also underloaded 7mag.All are great rounds if loaded to their potential.

took the rem 700 in 7stw out crop damage shooting for the first time last night. Had a group of 4 deer come in at about 600 yards. A bit to far for my shaky rest so i was patient. they finaly came in to about 440 by my rangefinder and I shot the first one. it dropped in its tracks and the other 3 came running toward me believe it or not and stopped at 350. I then shot the next biggest doe and it dropped. Again they came running another 50 yards toward me and i dropped the next one in its tracks. Could have shot the 4th too but it was a bit small. Load was a 150 nos bt and max velocity. All three were shot right behind the front shoulder and all dropped in there tracks. not a bad showing for its first trip to the field.

lloydsmale, you just gave me goosebumps, and kudos for holding off on the little skipper too! That's some awesome shooting, but totally in the whelm of what the STW is capable of, and then some. I have had similar results with the penetration, and exit as you had. I was going to do a little " crop damage " hunting in July, when I vacationed in Maryland, but the only crop damage I saw was from the drought, and heat. The heat is actually what kept me from going. It was so hot, that the folks I was going to hunt with where moving irrigation pipes when it cooled down somewhat in the evening. Oh well, November is coming!!!( and I can't wait)
Congrats on breaking in the beast, and awesome shooting. Plenty more of that to come , I'm sure. Good luck, and enjoy!!

lloydsmale, you just gave me goosebumps, and kudos for holding off on the little skipper too! That's some awesome shooting, but totally in the whelm of what the STW is capable of, and then some. I have had similar results with the penetration, and exit as you had. I was going to do a little " crop damage " hunting in July, when I vacationed in Maryland, but the only crop damage I saw was from the drought, and heat. The heat is actually what kept me from going. It was so hot, that the folks I was going to hunt with where moving irrigation pipes when it cooled down somewhat in the evening. Oh well, November is coming!!!( and I can't wait)
Congrats on breaking in the beast, and awesome shooting. Plenty more of that to come , I'm sure. Good luck, and enjoy!!

Bob,
I was wondering about your crop damage killing that you said that you were going to do. I was waiting for a report on the slaying. Sorry to hear about your luck and not being able to test out your 7mm STWs on the deer.

But as you said, "November is coming!!!" :D

2 more last night. this time the same 150 bt out of my ruger hawkeye 7rem mag. One at 225 yards and the other 320. Did it tell you that bullet does a fine job on deer!! both drt. Small entrance hole behind the shoulder and a 50 cent sized exit hole on the other side. No muss no fuss just dead venison.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.