Stupid Idea?

My chioce...

I prefer the same, dot, and windage marks.

I´ve had trouble with the varmint reticle in low light situations.

I would not go with a mil dot, its easy to mess things up.

as to power magnification 6.5-20X50 in leupold or better.

the magnification lets you make more precise shots. I shoot a lot of competition standing and I use a very high power premier scope(18-50X40), but I dont use it for hunting because in comp you dont shoot in low light cond. and although I never shoot at 50X you see everything 50X bigger.....and when you sight in its ideal.

imagine a NF with 50X?

Joe

Personally I love being able to turn the power up when I need it. I have several scopes in a similar power range as your looking at. The draw back on them in hunting situations to me is two fold. First as has been mentioned anything up close is sometimes not easily aquired, and secondly is the mirage factor. There have been a LOT of times where I hunt that the mirage or even low light situations make it so that I have to turn the power down in order to keep things clear. In these cases the lower 15X scopes are worth way more than the higher power.

In my opinion if you already have the scope mount it and learn to use it properly. IF you looking for something to learn with you might look at the Burris 4.5x14 with the Ballistic Plex. I have several of them on different calibers and have found them to be almost dead on with the drop charts they include granted the loads match the velocities. Even working up different loads they can be easily matched up. They aren't overly expensive and the magnification is also good enough to make 600yd shots on game fairly easy. For dialing the Nikons have been very good for my uses and they won't break the bank either. They also have the added advantage of a side focus which to me comes in very handy as well.

There are also several other scopes in this price range or higher that are great for that range of shooting. If you want mid priced ther is also the Nikon series, as well as the higher end Nightforce. Either of which offer scopes in a power range that are suited to your needs.

My suggestion would be if you have the scope use it, if not then find a dealer who might have several you could look through and choose which suits your needs the best. IF you can try them in different light situations like late evening or mid day to see what if any notable issues they might have that would cause you to pick a lower power or different brand over another. I have found that sometimes there are subtle differences that make one better than another based on personal preferecnes, rather than brand or power. SOmetimes it has also been a finiancial decision as well. Heck if I could afford so I would probably have a Nightforce, Swaro, or Zeiss mounted on top of everything. However, I mostly have Burris, Weaver, Leupold and even a couple of Simmons and Tasco's. For the purposes I use the rifles all suit my needs perfectly.

To answer your question of what are M1 knobs, this a VXlll 4.5x14 Long Range Target with M1 knobs:

S7300455.jpg

I think this would make a great scope if you need to hunt closer animals also.

It has the TMR reticle which has been great at the range.

I have not had a chance to hunt with yet and am concerned that the TMR will be useless at dawn or dusk as it is very thin and will probably not be visible.

I am wondering if an illuminated reticle might have been a good idea ...

(Those Bushnell Tacticals look pretty interesting ...)

Last edited:
I have the same scope but with the fine duplex reticle and I love it. I'd go with the M1 knobs and dial. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts