stuff needed

screech

Okay, I got the rifle, the optics and I can reload, got a chrony, and the rangefinder. What else should I get? I think I am going to get either an exball or nightforce program but dont know what I need for the mini computer thing to run it. This would be the only thing ran on it. Also plan on geting a cosine indicator. Also what kind of wind meter, weather thing should I get? anything else? Thanks

Kestral wind meters are great, cosine.... not unless you are shooting alot of uphill, downhill stuff.... I hunt Out of Cody Wy and have never needed one yet and it is rugged country.

The Perry program has lots of retilce choices, the NF has like 3 or 4 of theirs and that is it. Although you can basically load your own. do you have a palm or PC ?

do you have a good set of bipods or tripods ? Good range rests ? bore guide and all the good cleaning goodies ?

Good luck

Yah I woudl go with Kestrel as well. I made the mistake of going with a brunton windmeter and it only lasted about a year of very limited use and it just quit working out of the blue. I need to send it back.

An angle cosign would come in very handy for elk hunting in the canyons where its uphill/downhill at long range....

Thing 1- cosine

In Idaho you definitely need the cosine angle indicator. Go to Ace or Home Depot or your daddy's tool box and get one for about $6.00 - $7.00.

Thing 2 – wind meter

A basic Kestrel 2000 works as good as anything. I found mine in the broke and mangled clearance bin at REI. It needed a new propeller.

Thing 3- PDAs

A good paper drop chart is real cheap. I had probably 30 different drop charts with me last Fall. If you go up under optics and look at the BDC question you will see that you can function with just a couple of drop charts as long as you know your correction factors for temperature and altitude. While I may get me a PDA and a ballistics, program my motto is "trust nothing with a battery in it" because the maintenance man is real lazy.

Okay I shoot mainly up and down and nothing is really flat out here. so I need cosine it sounds like. Get a Kestrel, what model? exbal, and i will look at the link for a pda. I use a front bipod, harris and will come up with something for a rear bag. anything else. What is a bore guide?

[ QUOTE ]
... What is a bore guide?

[/ QUOTE ]

It guides the cleaning rod straight into your barrel, protecting the lead/throat lands. It also will stop cleaning supplies from leaking down into your chamber and action.

Here is a cheapy from stoney point that works OK (its the one I use). There are more expensive ones that exactly center the rod and have O-rings etc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=158160
Don

[ QUOTE ]
So is a palm pilot a computer essentially? I am by far the most technology challenged teenager alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a small hand held PDA (Personal Data Assistant). All types of little 'helper' programs are available for them (phone/address lists etc.). The only thing I have on mine is Exbal.

Don

For the pda I suggest a Pelican case from Sinclair and others; keeps it dry, attached to something, impact proof and holds spare batts and quick charts as back-ups. Always have Plan B ready to roll; the key to long term successes. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was looking at Kestrels website and I think the Kestrel 3500 is what I want. Kestrel 3500

I think it would have every thing I need. Unless you can see reason to get a bigger and better model.

i've been checkin the Kestrel stuff out a little and i was leaning towards the 2500. it has of course wind speed, but also has barometric pressure, altitude, and temperature.that's all the adjustments i need.

Bob,other than a couple of trees out of the way, do we need anything else?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.