Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

bigbuck

I just recently recieved my brand new redding type S full length sizing die . I have been treating it like GOLD . But the other day I got out the Hornady one shot soaked my rem. brass down at ALL angles let it set 4 or 5 minutes in the sun (92 degrees atleast) . Took em into the house and on about the 4th one I bowed up on it (dumb me) when I went to pull it back down it RIPPED the rim on both sides clean off. I had to bite my tongue:rolleyes: . Any ways I just tried to get it out , luckely about three years ago my dad gave me a redding stuck case remover kit. I had a hard time trying to remove the case , it wanted to spin while in the press . So I decided to take off the lock ring and install the die back into the press then run it all the way down until nearly out of threads on the top side of the press . Then from the bottom side of the press I re installed the lock ring onto the die , this way when I took the (baby) allen wrench I could turn it and the die wouldn't move . Just thought I would share this with you all and how it worked out pretty good for me:)

How many of you guys use Hornady Stuck Shot :D

Thanks for looking.........

I had them try to stick on me too with One Shot or one stuck what ever it is. It went in the trash and I went back to my old tried and true RCBS pad and lube for full sizing. The spray was a messy deal too.

Jeff

been there tried the one shot and dillon spray, got slicker reloading trays than cases. Went back to the pad and lube. I've gone through two bottles of lube in the last 5 years. Zero stuck cases. I only lube the back 1/2 to 2/3 of the case and don't get neck dents. If your chamber isn't big and your loads aren't to hot, the back 1/2 of the case is fine.

I haven't found anything better than RCBS lube so far... I even tried the Imperial Sizing wax that everyone gets so titillated about and it's still not as slick as the RCBS lube...

I've never, ever had a stuck case using RCBS case lube.

Dan

Have used the RCBS lube forever with no stuck cases. But was considering changing over to the spray or wax due to all the hoopla. Why do I feel like I need to fix something that is not broken??
Thanks for the "heads up" I believe I will just stick to my tried and true slippery goo!

Been using one shot for years and never had a stuck case. The rcbs system is slow and messy, but I never had a stuck case with it either.

Use One Shot for pistol and small easy to size rifle, and to lube dies....for large/magnum rifles you will end up with what you have, a stuck case!

Hornady sells a good case lube, it just does not come in a spray can....

When we buy a spray can of lube we are trying to achieve ease of use and an even lube coverage on our brass . However we are only considering the spray from the can not the process to make that can .
The process is far more complicated than just a mixture in a tube of RCBS lube for example.
Is it possible that your can of One Shot has no or little lube in it and only propellant gas ?
This kind of product is more prone to manufacturing faults than other simpler products.
Is it wise to spay stuff in the air you breath while reloading , although it is duly noted that the post starter did his brass outside which is very smart .
Could the brass be dirty and this may have caused extra friction ?
I try not to use aerosol products where possible .
RCBS lube has worked for me for 40 years on every cartridge I have ever used so until it stops working that is what I stick with .
I can wipe my hands free of goo but you can't wipe the inside of your lungs.

If you are spraying any lube while cases are in he tray that is likely the culprit. Spray in a ziplock or Tupperware case, shake well and let dry. Been using the same ziplock for over a year with sharp shoot r royal or rooster lube with zero issue. In the tray you are likely missing bottom fifth of case where most resizing/friction is present. If spraying try this method. On the big stuff, 338-378, 378, 416, 505 I stick with imperial and a pad.

If you are spraying any lube while cases are in he tray that is likely the culprit. Spray in a ziplock or Tupperware case, shake well and let dry. Been using the same ziplock for over a year with sharp shoot r royal or rooster lube with zero issue. In the tray you are likely missing bottom fifth of case where most resizing/friction is present. If spraying try this method. On the big stuff, 338-378, 378, 416, 505 I stick with imperial and a pad.

I should have mentioned it in the thread . I have a 18 ft flat bed trailor (wood floor) I carried my brass out side in my wooden loading block , then I took each hull out and placed it on the floor of the trailor. My father has reloaded for about 34 years now and all he has ever used is the RCBS pad and RCBS lube. The only thing to worry about is not getting too much lube on the cases or it will dimple them. We usually take 4 or 5 and roll them lightly , then I always pick one up and tilt it nearly straight up and roll the neck just ever so lightly . This site is great and you guys have tons of knowledge to share but I'm going to stick with pop on this method and stick to the sticky RCBS lube:) I havent had nothing but issues while using the Hornady One/Stuck Shot....... I am always willing to step up and learn better loading/shooting skills but I feel this was a step back. I'm kind of impatient and I like to just rub some lube down on the pad and go at it. Get R Done:D

Bought One Shot 3 yrs ago. Followed directions. The very first case stuck in die. Threw it away. Bought Hornady Unique and have never looked back.

I have been using Hornady One Shot Spray lube for years and never had a single problem. I did get some of the pump bottle One Shot lube once when the store was out of the spay cans and it stuck cases and I trashed it. The problem the OP had could have been due to leaving the cases after spraying them in the HOT sun. It could have melted the lube off of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.