Stuck case in die - which tool?

tlk

Guess it is my turn in the barrel...

Stuck a case in a Redding body die. What is the best tool available to get it out that will not harm the die. Case is toast.

Die currently soaking in Kroil.

Thanks.

Several makerss, but the RCBS is on sale at Midwayusa....

RCBS Stuck Case Remover - MidwayUSA

Aldon

As an alternative, you can head to your local hardware store, pick up a 1/4-28 tap, suitable tap drill, and a couple of 1/4-28 socket head sap screws long enough to go through a socket fitted over the base of the brass to rest on the bottom of the die and take it out yourself. Piece of cake.

That said, after you get it out I'd recommend taking a piece of dowel rod that's about 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the sdie body at the shoulder, sawing a slit in the end of it, to hold a strip of emery paper about an inch wide, chucking it in an electric drill and using some emery paper soaked in oil to polish the inside of the die. I've had stuck cases in Redding does on several occasions/. After polishing the inside of the die with 400, 600, and 800 grit paper for 20 to 30 seconds per grit your problem will be history. You can get the paper at an automotive parts store in a variety pack that has several grits) they never stuck again. The worst one I had was my .223 Rem. FL sizing die. That was sticking about every 20th case. I polished it and a few thousand cases later it hasn't stuck again.

Fitch

Last edited:
The RCBS type pullers do a good job and every reloader should have one on his bench. Stick happens. If a case is really stuck no penetrating oil can get into it, no freezer tricks will free it.

When drilling and tapping the primer pocket be sure to unscrew-back out the decapping stem as far as possbile to prevent damaging it. If you "do it yourself" try a 1/4 x 20 tap and bolt, the finer/shallower threads of 1/4 x 28 sometimes strip out of the soft brass.

Sticking usually occurs when we don't lube the lower, thicker portion of the case near the head. That's where they get stuck, not on the upper portion or neck. The only warning we have is when the lever pressure becomes greater than normal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.