struggling w/ a .264 question

M_freeman

I am wanting to do a custom or semi custom (if possible) 6.5mm Mtn Rifle.
I have been researching a lot about bullet the seating depth for the VLDs and the problems with the magazines not long enough to be feasible for repeaters.
This is the requirements for this 6.5mm build. 1. 24" barrel max 2. be able to shoot the Berger 130 gr and 140 gr and still be a repeater bolt action.
3. 140 gr VLD at 2700-2800 fps. This is where I get lost, can this be done with a standard .260 Rem action without custom machining on the magazine, mag well and throating? Same question for the 6.5x55 swede? Which action should I start with?

Last edited:
I'd get an 8 twist barrel finished OD at muzzle of .630 24" long, Predator action or a blueprinted 700. Caliber of choice: 6.5x284.

I happened to have this very rig with a Bartlien bbl gain twist to 8 upon bullet exit, McM stock.

If you are looking at a lightweight mountain rifle on a short action both the 6.5x47 and the 6.5 Creedmor should get you the speeds you are looking for and still work as repeaters in a short action. Oherwise you will most likely have to move up to a long action or get an aftermarket magazine. I know a tikka in 6,5x55 will work as well.

If you have the action in-hand, you could make a dummy round that fit's it's magazine, then measure it & fill out a reamer print for a throat allowing the bullet to jam if needed.
Order the reamer and a barrel & take both to a good gunbuilder for finishing.

I'd get an 8 twist barrel finished OD at muzzle of .630 24" long, Predator action or a blueprinted 700. Caliber of choice: 6.5x284.

I happened to have this very rig with a Bartlien bbl gain twist to 8 upon bullet exit, McM stock.
can you seat the Berger 140 gr VLD into the lands and still have the rounds load from the magazine?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.