Struck out in Utah, going to Alberta

sambo3006

I didn't draw a Utah spring bear tag so I've been doing some internet research and decided on a spot and stalk hunt in central Alberta for this fall. No bait or dogs allowed and a two bear limit. I'm going to take my rifle and my bow. I'll probably try to take my first (ever) bear with rifle and then try to take one with my bow. I've done a fair amount of spot and stalk bow hunting and have taken several deer plus a few turkeys that way. I've never been within bow range of a bear on ground level before, I'm sure it will be quite a rush!

Sounds like a great hunt and I hope you kill a MONSTER! I'm not trying to change your mind, but should you want a bargain, North Idaho is full of bears and also has a 2 bear limit. No outfitter required and tons of public land to hunt. We need the populations knocked down to help replenish the elk herd that was fed to the dogs. To hunt in N. Idaho, you'll need a $154 hunting license, an either $186 bear tag (or a $31.75 reduced price bear tag in some units). A second bear tag will cost you $31.75. Baiting is legal and hounds are legal, although there are permits required for each.

Don't forget to throw in a wolf tag or 5 (5 is the limit) for $31.75 ea. They're not usually seen but I've seen them from time to time and everyone of them on a wall in Missouri is one less we have to worry about. You're also allowed to use electronic calls to bring wolves in. The wolf season varies according to region but has been extended to last the majority of the year in the Northern parts of the state.

You can PM me for info on some good places and help deciphering our regulations. Anywhere from drive and spot and stalk, to spot and stalk, to backcountry.

Just put that under your hat for future reference.

Have a good one in Alberta!

Cross

Thanks cross!
I talked to Catahoula last year a little about an Idaho bear hunt. That may end up on the menu for the future as I don't think I will be hunting Colorado any more due to the unconstitutional gun laws they have passed. I'll have a wolf license for Alberta since they are cheap. Like you said, doesn't sound like they are very likely to be seen but if I do se one I won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Yeah, let me know Sambo. My offer stands for you, or anybody else that would like some info on accessing bears in Idaho. I'm not the greatest bear hunter by a **** sight but there are plenty of bears and some help knowing where you can go and what the rules are seems to be a big impediment to nonresidents.

Good luck in Alberta!

Cross

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.