stripped allen screw removal

Interestingly, at least around here (locally), Ace Hardware has a nice selection in domestic made and in stainless as well as Holochrome plus spline drive and Torx....

I tend to go there when I'm making a prototype and I need a couplle specialty fasteners, before buying full box or keg quantity for production.

They aren't cheap per fastener, but if you only need a few, it works....

McMaster-Carr also sells small quantities BTW.

Lowes claims their bolts to be grade eight, but wasn't all that inpressed with their quality. Tractor Supply bolts look much better than Lowes. I think McMaster-Carr uses nothing but Unbrako (and maybe Holo-Chrome) bolts. I never knew they would sell them in smaller quantities, and I had an account with them. They do sell grade eight all thread down to 8-32 (maybe 6-32 aswell), and their grade eight is the real deal. I bought that stuff all the time from them till I got Karr to get it for me.

Slightly off subject, but still dealing with nuts and bolts (I have two ex's that will tell you I fill the "nuts" parts rather well). You guys buy good screws and use the cheapest hex key or Torx wrench money can buy!!! Buy good name brand ones like Unbrako or Allen brands. Those wrenches that Harbor Freight sells are a problem just looking for a place to happen. Even the ones Sears sells are better, but are not what they used to be. One of the best sets I've seen in 1/4" and also 3/8" drive (to use with a torque wrench) came right off the shelf of Walmart! Had Stanley's name all over it. Hex keys were very tight in the socket head on the cap screw, and that's what your after. Clean the threads and at least put a drop of light machine oil on them before using.
gary

I'm going to revive a long dead thread because I just had to deal with getting off a bomar sight from an xp100 that some joker had expoxied and loctited. Both hex screws were stripped and heat wasn't getting the job done. I thought about increasing heat but was nervous about damaging the bluing on the receiver.

Resolution...

Take a drill bit slightly larger than the screw threads, but smaller than the head. Vise and drill at slow speed. When I thought I was close to getting to the screw threads on both screws, I tapped the sights with a rubber mallet... Not too hard, but not lightly either. After several attempts, drilling a little deeper after each mallet attempt, they finally gave way and I was left with two headless screws sticking up out of the receiver. There was also about a good 1/16" of epoxy under the sight.

At this juncture, the advice I had was to get my smallest pair of vice grips and simply twist the screws out. What I found was that the vice grips couldn't get a good hold, and if I put pressure on them, that it just pinched the metal on the screws up towards the top center.

Resolution....

Took my Dremel with the smallest wheel cutter and carefully cut a straight line in the center of one of the screws. Took my time not to let the cutting wheel cut too deep and into the receiver of the gun. Once I had a semi decent notch, I took a screw driver and just twisted it out. Came out beautifully. Repeated on the other screw.

A little acetone to clean up the epoxy... And she's beautiful now. No marks, no stripped screws... Ready for new base.

Just an FYI for those that don't have immediate access to a gunsmith, and have semi competent skills with tools.

I have had very good luck with this $20 investment (IIRC) ...

P8270545.jpg

Thanks Feenix... I've never had one come in like this, but for $20, I think it's worth adding to my list. Gonna get one ordered. I'm not a gunsmith, but prefer to do as much as I can, when I can. Appreciate the post.

Really wanted to get out this weekend with the new scope and base so I can get this xp100 sighted in. Think I'm going to take it along for our draw for antlered deer first week of October, that is if I can shoot it worth a ****. :D

Thanks Feenix... I've never had one come in like this, but for $20, I think it's worth adding to my list. Gonna get one ordered. I'm not a gunsmith, but prefer to do as much as I can, when I can. Appreciate the post.

Really wanted to get out this weekend with the new scope and base so I can get this xp100 sighted in. Think I'm going to take it along for our draw for antlered deer first week of October, that is if I can shoot it worth a ****. :D

You're quite welcome!

They make 4 bits set now for basically the same price (on sale) >>> Pro Grabit® 4 Piece Kit

Really bummed just got my rifle bedded and went to remove the bases to install a 20 MOA base and my new Vortek scope when the last screw stripped. Does anyone know how to remove an allen screw on a base that the wrench slips? Apparently I used too much blue loktite.

Drill the head off the screw and then remove the base. You will be left with 1/8" or more thread sticking out. You can then grab with vise grips and turn out. It does make it easier to apply heat before you start trying to turn out the screw.

Works just fine. Even if you accidentally used red loktite... I might have done that once.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.