Striker and the .308 family

I had a nice talk with Ernie over the phone a few weeks ago. Nice guy and full of info.
I now have some idea's for future calibers and why. THANK YOU ERNIE!
Today if something doesn't come ul, I will be cutting a .243 barrel down to 14- 15 inches and crowning it. After I practice a few times to make sure I can do it right. :D Later on I will install a muzzle brake. Not sure which one to get. Leaning toward the Monster. Any suggestions on aa muzzle brake for a .243 win 14' barrel?
Rupe

BUT on second thought, I could just cut it down again! So I will take your advise Tinkerer and cut it at 16.5, but I am breaking my own thoughts on what length a hand gun barrel should be (15" max) but what the heck, if it helps me reach out and pop a coyote at 500 yards, I'll change my max barrel belief.
Thanks Larry!

Rupe

Besides, if you like the 16.5" 243 and want to keep it, you can always pick up another 243 and cut it down.

I just so happen to have an extra 243 you could pick it very reasonable if you like :). Heck, I'd even trade for a decent 308 barrel in black.

Larry
Tinkerer

Hum?? I will keep my eye open for one. You can pm me the price if you if you want.
The barrel turned out great. Still need to crown it a little more. I am waiting for the nut wrench to get here so I can swap it over and see how it shoots.gun)
Rupe

Just an update: I cut the barrel, 16.5", Crowned it and finally had a chance to swap it with the .308 barrel. But as my luck goes, just as I finished the swap, the wind started blowing with gusts to 55mph. Well I grabbed 3 rds. and shot them, just so I could say I shot it! :Dgun):)
Well I have no clue if I hit one of the used targets I had still on the 100 yard home range. But it felt good just to pull the trigger. I won't get to shoot it today either cause we suppose to get 70mph gusts. So I'll have ro wait to start working up a load. Using IMR8208BR and Sierra 75 gr. HP.
I loaded; .5 gr for 3 rds. starting at 34.5 to a max of 37.3 Hopefully I will find somewhere in the middle a good load I can work into the sweet spot.
I'm not new to reloading but I am new to trying to find that one load that gives me that long range accuracy the we all look for. Any suggestion are more then welcome!
Rupe

I have the same Striker in 308 and have been looking to make it a milder shooting pistol for javelina and coyotes. The 243 is probably one of the easiest conversions, but as others have mentioned, I also like the 6.5 bullets. I like the 6.5 Creedmoor and have it in a Savage LRP rifle and it is accurate. If a Savage rifle sporter barrel was cut down in this caliber, I think it would be optimal.

Yes that would be a nice shooter! I really like having the choice between having my .308 or the .243 barrel to shoot.
I'm not sure what barrel I'll get next.

Rupe

I love the 6.5x.284 in an SP. I used an MOA chambered in it to kill my first antelope at 492 yards, and I have probably killed more deer and antelope with it then anything else. I have a 7-08 striker that I would love to turn into a 6.5x284, someday...

I love the 6.5x.284 in an SP. I used an MOA chambered in it to kill my first antelope at 492 yards, and I have probably killed more deer and antelope with it then anything else. I have a 7-08 striker that I would love to turn into a 6.5x284, someday...

Nice shot on the antelope!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts